Add more fish or no ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mlpfab4fan

Reaction score
Recently back into the hobby after a very long time. I have a 125 gallon rectangle aquarium. I'm running two Aquaclear 110's, two HydroSponge Pro 5 sponge filters, and a SunSun CUP 9W internal UV sterilizer. My water parameters are 78 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 15 nitrate. I perform a 20 gallon water change weekly. I have a lot of driftwood, 50 lbs. of rocks, some Java ferns, and use smooth, fine, black sand as substrate. The tank has been up since last June so about 8 months now and all fish look healthy and happy. Current stock list is 7 Silver Dollars, 4 Gold Dojo Loaches, 1 Delicate Whiptail Suckercat, 1 Bulldog Plecostomus, 1 Pictus Catfish, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Platinum Angelfish, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 1 Striped Anostomus, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, and 1 Blue Gularis Killifish. The Firemouth doesn't bother anybody, the Rainbow will chase anyone away from his cave, and the Anostomus like to swim around and check everyone out. No real aggression issues at this time. All fish were added at the same time after I cycled the tank last June and are 3-4 inches long now.. I lost 2 the first week but that's been it.

So, to make a very long story short, my girlfriend loves Discus and wants me to add 5-6 and or a school of 5-6 Scissortail Rasboras. I've been telling her it's already stocked to the limit but the LFS told her it should be fine. Am I wrong here, I really don't want to upset the apple cart? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

I think that the tank is stocked to its limit, also, you should bring your nitrates down quite a bit. I would say no to anymore fish.

Hi, I think its quite an unusual mix you already have in there and you have some big waste producers in there like the Dojos when they reach adult they really add to the bio load... So I would agree with the above that you are at pretty much full stock, that said you do have some fish in there that would ideally be in larger groups like the pictus and the annostomus. I kept a group of around 10 Annostomus Ternetzi (lipstick headstanders) for a number of years and they are a great fish to keep. I dont think you have the tank space to up either of these groups though as both species are quite large. A lot of the fish in the tank have quite different needs in terms of temperature, ph and water hardness - most should find a happy medium in a community tank but they will all be slightly compromised in some way.

Personally I would rehome the annostomus and the pictus and stick with what you have, DIscus would not be suitable for this tank, the rasboras would be but I wouldnt add any more fish to this tank.

Also Im not sure I agree with the above about the Nitrates - my nitrate is 40ppm out of the tap so thats what my fish have to live in so at 15ppm with the fish in the tank that will be fine.

Wills

I agree that those fish don’t really mix well and some should be kept in groups. I used to only have one silver dollar and he was skidish, they need to be in schools of around 5. also the picture catfish need to be grouped of 3 if i recall and a lot of those fish require different water PH levels as well

I think that the tank is stocked to its limit, also, you should bring your nitrates down quite a bit. I would say no to anymore fish.
Thank you. I agree, no more fish for this tank. I'm pretty happy with the nitrates right now, usually OK with anything under 30 before a water change but I will keep an eye on it.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

You have some veruy serious issues with the present fish species/numbers, aside from the bio load aspect. I'm not going to go into all that, sorry, unless asked. But you have real problems for those fish. I will just mention in response to the original question on discus...no, discus cannot bee maintained in the same aquarium as most of what is already there, no matter thee tank size.

I'm only going to correct the assumption on nitrate. It is now known that nitrate above 20 ppm does affect freshwater tropical fish. Nitrate, like ammonia and nitrite, is toxic to fish. It just acts more slowly. But studies have proven that the higher the level, or the longer the exposure, the more detrimental the effect on fish. Some fish are especially sensitive--cichlids for one example. The fact that nitrate is reduced by water changes and then increases again is proof that you are not doing sufficient water changes (volume, or frequency, or both), that you have too many fish, or are feeding too much--or any combination. Nitrate should always remain at the same level, before and after water changes, in a biologically balanced aquarium. And if you want healthy fish, this must remain below 20 ppm.

Byron.

I agree with what was said above, a lot of those fish don’t mix well, and I nitrates should be below 30 ppm.

I agree that those fish don’t really mix well and some should be kept in groups. I used to only have one silver dollar and he was skidish, they need to be in schools of around 5. also the picture catfish need to be grouped of 3 if i recall and a lot of those fish require different water PH levels as well
Thank you for your reply,

I did a lot of research on these fish long before I started this tank. Silver Dollars were what got me back into the hobby so I started there. I had 7 of them but traded 1 so now I have 6. They are not unusually skittish, just typical Silver Dollars. They are out in the open mid-level most of the day always together. Since I knew those were what I wanted I researched fish that were close to the same size, the same temperature range, and liked soft, slightly acidic water conditions. From what I've learned about Pictus Catfish they tend to like each others company as youngsters but as adults they become rather solitary and bicker with each other. I really do appreciate your opinion so can you please tell me which ones you think don't mix well and which ones require different pH levels. That would be a great help in my moving forward . Again, thank you !

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

You have some veruy serious issues with the present fish species/numbers, aside from the bio load aspect. I'm not going to go into all that, sorry, unless asked. But you have real problems for those fish. I will just mention in response to the original question on discus...no, discus cannot bee maintained in the same aquarium as most of what is already there, no matter thee tank size.

I'm only going to correct the assumption on nitrate. It is now known that nitrate above 20 ppm does affect freshwater tropical fish. Nitrate, like ammonia and nitrite, is toxic to fish. It just acts more slowly. But studies have proven that the higher the level, or the longer the exposure, the more detrimental the effect on fish. Some fish are especially sensitive--cichlids for one example. The fact that nitrate is reduced by water changes and then increases again is proof that you are not doing sufficient water changes (volume, or frequency, or both), that you have too many fish, or are feeding too much--or any combination. Nitrate should always remain at the same level, before and after water changes, in a biologically balanced aquarium. And if you want healthy fish, this must remain below 20 ppm.

Byron.
Thank you very much,

I didn't think Discus could be in this tank or that more fish should be added. Guess I was just looking for a second opinion before I told her no. Regarding nitrates, they are stable at 15. I will up my weekly water change volume though just to be safe. Thank you very much for your help.

Hi, I think its quite an unusual mix you already have in there and you have some big waste producers in there like the Dojos when they reach adult they really add to the bio load... So I would agree with the above that you are at pretty much full stock, that said you do have some fish in there that would ideally be in larger groups like the pictus and the annostomus. I kept a group of around 10 Annostomus Ternetzi (lipstick headstanders) for a number of years and they are a great fish to keep. I dont think you have the tank space to up either of these groups though as both species are quite large. A lot of the fish in the tank have quite different needs in terms of temperature, ph and water hardness - most should find a happy medium in a community tank but they will all be slightly compromised in some way.

Personally I would rehome the annostomus and the pictus and stick with what you have, DIscus would not be suitable for this tank, the rasboras would be but I wouldnt add any more fish to this tank.

Also Im not sure I agree with the above about the Nitrates - my nitrate is 40ppm out of the tap so thats what my fish have to live in so at 15ppm with the fish in the tank that will be fine.

Wills
Whatchutalkinbout Willis !

Sorry, couldn't help myself, thank you for your reply.

Yes it is an unusual mix of fish. I have many friends in the hobby and they all have the usual tanks. Discus tanks, African Cichlid tanks, Amazon community tanks, fancy goldfish, etc. I wanted something different. I completely agree this tank is at maximum capacity already. I have a friend who started his tank the same time I did using the same fish source and I traded him 1 of my Silver Dollars and 2 of my Dojo Loaches for a Pictus Catfish, a Whiptail Catfish, and a Bulldog Pleco. I think that will lighten the biolode slightly.

I tried very hard to only consider fish that have the same temperature range and same affinity for soft, slightly acidic water conditions. My Anostomus has become one of my favorites, he starts each day out by seeking out each fish he shares the tank with and saying hello. His tail and fin colors are really starting to pop! I will absolutely keep an eye out for any aggression or signs of stress on any fish and will rehome whoever I need to. This has been a pleasure so far and I will keep you posted on how it goes from here.

Thanks for all your help!

Silver dollars like and need lots of room.....7 of those would account for more then half your tanks stocking capacity (in my opinion).....i think you are at, or well past your stocking limit.....any more might cause aggression....i used to breed silver dollars

Silver dollars like and need lots of room.....7 of those would account for more then half your tanks stocking capacity (in my opinion).....i think you are at, or well past your stocking limit.....any more might cause aggression....i used to breed silver dollars
Thank you Mikey.
I'm now down to 6 Silver Dollars. I will very soon be up sizing to a 210 gallon, 72" L x 24" W x 30" H. since everyone seems in agreement that I'm overstocked.
Thanks for your help.

Thank you Mikey.
I'm now down to 6 Silver Dollars. I will very soon be up sizing to a 210 gallon, 72" L x 24" W x 30" H. since everyone seems in agreement that I'm overstocked.
Thanks for your help.
I now have 21 fish, 12 species.

Finished cycling the new tank, with filter media seed from current tank. Will be moving fish in tomorrow !

All fishes are now enjoying their new 210 Gallon home. No new fish have been or will be added. Stock is 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 1 Platinum Angelfish, 2 Pictus Catfish, 2 Bulldog Plecos, 2 Whiptail Suckercats, 1 Striped Anostomus, 6 Silver Dollars, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Gold Dojo Loaches, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, and 1 Blue Gularis Killifish. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 15 nitrate. Thank you all for your help, I really enjoy this site.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back