Activated Carbon and Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ambush0908

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have added plants to my 75 Gal community tank. I have been reseaching a bit on line on how to care for them. I saw in more than one post that using activated carbon in your filters will negate any benefits you get from using plant supplements. I use Flourish Comprehensive and I am wondering if I am wasting my time. I have (2) Aquaclear 50 and (1) Aqueon Quietflow 75 HOB filters. All have carbon. Should I rethink my use of activated carbon? All plants and fish seem helathy so I am a little apprehensive. Is there an alternative.

Thanks,

Carbon filtration may not normally completely negate fertilizers, but it will adsorb some plant nutrients including DOC and this can hamper plant growth. Of course, carbon becomes less and less effective the more it adsorbs stuff, and at some point it ceases to do anything except provide a surface for bacteria. I do not use carbon, or any other form of chemical filtration, primarily because they may be detrimental to plants and I have plants in all my fish tanks.

There are many in the hobby today who do not even advocate carbon in non-planted tanks. I won't argue yea or nay on that, but if you have live plants in the tank, I would only recommend mechanical filtration. Biological filtration will occur in any filter (all else being equal) and given that this may also be competing with the plants, not encouraging excess biological filtration seems wise. The third, chemical, is as I said not advisable.

There is another side to this, and that is the fish. Every substance added to the tank water, including plant additives, gets inside the fish. And all of these are foreign to the fish, so they do have some effect. It is therefore not advisable to add more plant fertilizers than absolutely necessary, so anything that is negating what is being added and results in even more additives is not the way to go if there are fish and you want them to be in their best possible condition, thinking of their health and physiology.

Byron.

Thanks Byron. I agree with you and I think I will gradually remove my chemical filtration. I think it will be easy with the Aqau Clear filters because I can use the bio max bags or extra sponge. Do you have a sugestion on how to replace the Aqueon Filter Cartridges that have the carbon in them?

Thanks Byron. I agree with you and I think I will gradually remove my chemical filtration. I think it will be easy with the Aqau Clear filters because I can use the bio max bags or extra sponge. Do you have a sugestion on how to replace the Aqueon Filter Cartridges that have the carbon in them?

I believe other members in older threads have suggested cutting filter foam into a shape that will fit the chamber. This provides good mechanical filtration, and obviously biological. I don't know the construction of the Aqueon filter, but depending upon that one could just stuff some filter floss into the opening, being careful not to have it too "stuffed" which can act to block water movement completely.

Is mainly used to remove ammonia and organics. It will absorb other nutrients But its short lifetime limits its effectiveness.

Plants will do all of the above plus remove nitrate and nitrite. They also remove all of the 15 nutrients plants commonly need plus others. Plants can even soften water if they have enough nutrients in the water. And as long as they are growing they will continue to do the job.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back