Acquiring Ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Should I just give up in search of ammonia and try fish-in cycling?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi, I live in a country where its basically impossible to get Ammonia (I can't go into a supermarket and buy 10% ammonia). It is unlikely i'll find cleaning solutions without additives. I need the ammonia for fish-less cycling. I was wondering if I can use liquid fertilizer such as NH4NO3 or Stress Zyme (for its ammonia not its bacteria). I understand that fish-less cycling boosts my filters effectiveness because I can use greater initial amounts of ammonia I.E. 4ppm ammonia... I also don't want to end up with a bunch of fish I don't want in my aquarium, seeing as I intend to have a community tank of tropical fish.
Help is much appreciated.
Jordan

Edit: Ammonium Hydroxide is also most likely impossible for me to acquire.

Last edited:
Is it possible to order online from where you are?

edited for grammar error

Black market is always an option that is open to many people, can you order online?

I can order online but the chances it'll get through customs are slim as liquids don't tend to pass customs.

Dang you have a hard knock life sir.
Where exactly is it you live? like what country/state? sounds really hardcore, like north korea hard core. I would try though still

Dang you have a hard knock life sir.
Where exactly is it you live? like what country/state? sounds really hardcore, like north korea hard core. I would try though still
My family recently moved to Israel (to my utter shock and horror), from what I gather the reason ammonia is scarce here is because it can be used to create bombs or something. I'm going to ask around in some pet stores/Aquatic stores but I'm not to sure my endeavors will be successful. That is why I'm asking about NH4NO3. That I can easily get as it's a fertilizer. the question is if it'll work lol. I don't see why not, seeing as in water NO4NO3 breaks down into NO4+ and NO3-, but I'm brand new to the hobby so I have no idea.

ouch. really I have no other advice as that's the only way I cycle a tank, ammonia. If it really Really comes down to it though get a guppy or something and put it in there. But I really do not recommend it just because its cruel. Also Israel... idk what to say, careful

I've heard of people having luck using fish food or raw shrimp to rot in the tank and produce ammonia, but I'm not sure of the exact details. I know it is riskier because you can get organisms (like copepods, planaria), you can't control the ammonia levels, and bacteria blooms are almost a given. A more experienced member can probably drop in and give more information on that.
I'm sure about the NH4NO3 either, but a more experienced member might know.
I can understand the concern with ammonia bombs. Best of luck.

copepods and planaria are the least of the problems, easily can be fixed. You make a very valid point that I did forget though! fish food is a very reliable and common way to cycle your tank as when it decomposes in the water it leaches ammonia. Would definitely give that some thought. Just for the record copepods don't do anything but eat algae, planaria is the bad one.

The issue with food is it's more complicated to control the amounts of ammonia released. That and fish-in cycling are my last resort at the moment.

Thanks for the help, both of you.

Now here is a partly scientific question, would it matter how much is released? because the bacteria eat the ammonia so as long as you stop eventually, or do a bit of clean up work wouldn't it still successfully cycle while having nitrites nitrate, and 0ppm ammonia (well 0ppm nitrites to but)

Now here is a partly scientific question, would it matter how much is released? because the bacteria eat the ammonia so as long as you stop eventually, or do a bit of clean up work wouldn't it still successfully cycle while having nitrites nitrate, and 0ppm ammonia (well 0ppm nitrites to but)
From what I understand 5ppm and above causes the ammonia eating bacteria ceases to produce nitrate and breakdown nitrite and ammonia. It can be regulated with frequent water changes but that's just a LOT more work.

water changes in an aquarium, and im sure you know this, must be done weekly in an aquarium. Well not Must but its one of those things that are Highly Highly recommended... So if your not up for the job I wouldn't even get into this. But if you are I still recommend the food way.

Yes that I know and I intend to do. The issue from what I understand is that the water changes may have to be done more than once a day. All this is from reading stuff off the internet so I can't vouch for it's credibility.

if you do the fish food route, now I have never done this take into consideration, I would do two water changes a week. Fifty percent twice a week until the tank is cycled, live plants im sure would also help. That's just me, I have also hear that twenty five percent WC a day until the tank is cycled is also a consideration or option, again more work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back