A To Z Of Tropical Fish Diseases

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hey people. I recently realized a long red streek on my gold severum and there's a white fungus stuff growing on oneside of it. The red streek is allong the dorsal fin just bellow it running the whole length of his body. And it's acting really frantic andwill not stay still n twitches really bad all the time. I did neglect my tank for a week and didn't check the water quality and when I checked it. The acidic levels were 6.2 so could the low water quality be the cause? I did a 50% water change and started treating it with melafix yesterday day but the fish seems to be allot worse today. Does any one know how to fix this problem it would help me soo much cause he's a beautiful colour and I don't want him to die.

Has neon tetra disease been mentioned?

Neon Tetra Disease.

Causes: Parasitical, when the fish eats something that is infected with a parasetical spore, it is immediately infected can be passed on to other fish.

Symtoms: my neon tetra, sandy, suffered restlessness in the first day, and eventually she gradually lost colour, her belly became lumpy and she will start swimming in the spot and begin to struggle, eventually the fish will sink to the nearest corner of the tank and lose their appetite, eventually death hits them quick.

Treatment: it is incurable as far as i know, the fish dont fully recover even when using Prozotin or other treatments, if Prozotin fails immediately take the infected fish out of the water and euthanise it, or kill it to prevent spreading to other fish.

NTD can also affect Cichlids and Cyprinids, but Cardinal tetras are immune.

Camallanus
8767384.jpg

If you have this round worm, your in for a rough ride. Known as a fish keepers nightmare, I would have to agree from my own personal experience. My symptoms include sudden deaths, fish becoming skinny for months before I saw this worm sticking out my fishes bottoms. I haven't seen a worming treatment in my local fish store for treating fish (and tried many fish wormers with no success, mind you this was about 3 years ago) and there for conducted my own research and experiments. I read that levamisole hydrochloride was effective on getting rid of the worm by paralysing it. I also discovered that some bird wormers where ideal to treat the fish. I would suggest speaking to your vet (yes they will look at your fish, and if your luckier than myself, you'll find an expert that can sort your fish for you).

If you fail to get a vet, I would recommend trying treatment by buying Harkers harka-verm sold for birds, as it has Levamisole at a 8% concentration (kindly pointed out to me by betta fish as a better birdwormer than my original bird wormer used). You would need to add 0.04ml per litre of Harkers harka-verm(differnt amount for different wormers) , so for a 20 litre tank = 0.8ml, just work out how many litres are in you tank and multiply by 0.04 for correct dosage. keep an eye on the fish during treatment and make sure you do a thorough gravel vacum on the next water change, usually in a week to pick up any parasites, the fish should then be treated but if you don't think they are all gone you can wait a few more days and add another dose.

Levamisole is light sensitive, so leave your lights off as the light destroys the chemical and will prevent the treatment from working.

betta fish also produced this link on levamisole-hydrochloridewhich I used when treating my fish at the time of infection

Camallanus
8767384.jpg

If you have this round worm, your in for a rough ride. Known as a fish keepers nightmare, I would have to agree from my own personal experience. My symptoms include sudden deaths, fish becoming skinny for months before I saw this worm sticking out my fishes bottoms. I haven't seen a worming treatment in my local fish store for treating fish (and tried many fish wormers with no success, mind you this was about 3 years ago) and there for conducted my own research and experiments. I read that levamisole hydrochloride was effective on getting rid of the worm by paralysing it. I also discovered that some bird wormers where ideal to treat the fish. I would suggest speaking to your vet (yes they will look at your fish, and if your luckier than myself, you'll find an expert that can sort your fish for you).

If you fail to get a vet, I would recommend trying treatment by buying Harkers harka-verm sold for birds, as it has Levamisole at a 8% concentration (kindly pointed out to me by betta fish as a better birdwormer than my original bird wormer used). You would need to add 0.04ml per litre of Harkers harka-verm(differnt amount for different wormers) , so for a 20 litre tank = 0.8ml, just work out how many litres are in you tank and multiply by 0.04 for correct dosage. keep an eye on the fish during treatment and make sure you do a thorough gravel vacum on the next water change, usually in a week to pick up any parasites, the fish should then be treated but if you don't think they are all gone you can wait a few more days and add another dose.

Levamisole is light sensitive, so leave your lights off as the light destroys the chemical and will prevent the treatment from working.

betta fish also produced this link on levamisole-hydrochloridewhich I used when treating my fish at the time of infection

that picture made me nauseas i think if i had a fish with that sticking out of it id just flush it, im sorry ha.

IMPORTANT TIP!!!!!... WHEN ADDING SOME MEDICATIONS ASK AT STORE WHEN YOU BUY IT IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE CARBON FROM FILTER. OTHERWISE SOMETIMES IT JUST MAKES PRETTY COLOURING AND DOESNT WORK WELL

Swim bladder disease

Symptoms: fish can not stay up at a horizonal state, having trouble staying in the middle, floating to the top or sinking to the bottom and having trouble to stay up or down, upside down fish or on side in water but still alive
common with goldfish: if you have floating food they could have gulped alot of air over time during feeding which intime has messed up their swim bladder...Pretty much your fish could be consipated...
Cure for that : fast (or dont feed) your fish for 2 to 3 days, give them sinking food or bloodworms. krill... pretty much stuff that doesnt sit at the top so they cannot gulp air.
Cure: CHECK WATER LEVELS...
-if high nitrate or ammonia then do water changes
-fast the fish..(see goldfish upbove)
-fungal bactrial tablet dissolve. make sure it says includes swim bladder

Ich

Symptoms: white spots

cure: WATER CHANGE . follow in order for best result
then....
-use a gravel vaccum if you have one to get the junk out of the gravel like twice a week ( where bacteria and fungal stuff starts somewhat)
-then use a GOOD ich treatment in the water but before you add it(remove carbon from filter if told to do so. or else medication will not work to full power)
then one week do medication twice a week
next week vaccum gravel or water change
should clear up tank.

Dopsey or puffed scales

Treatment: water changes !!! check nitrate and ammonial

use fungus guard... that clears BOTH fungus and bacterial. i would recommend the dissolving tablets they work well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back