What's new

A tip for anyone checking a framed aquarium for level

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Jeremy180

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ater just about driving myself crazy trying to get my 29 gallon tank level, I realized that the top frame is very slightly crooked.

Specifically, it was assembled with the back right corner about a mm higher than the front left.

Instead, I rested the level on the top of the bottom frame, which is what the tank actually rests on.

Just thought I would share this experience with the hope that it helps someone.
EDIT:
Apologize if this is the wrong section, but I figured it fit here better than the DIY section, as making sure a tank is level is really something everyone should do.

I Have heard reports of tanks failing or leaking from being as little as
1/8" (about 3mm) off level.

Last edited:
Is the tank already filled up?
Not yet, finally got it level, but one corner is raised just barely above the hardwood stand.
When it was empty, I was able to run a business card (about 0.5mm) almost all the way along one side, including under one corner. Could also fit a credit card (almost exactly 0.75mm) 2inches under same corner with almost no resistance.

Was going to see if adding any water would help, added 5 gallons, and the business card still fits, but not the credit card.
Not feeling comfortable with this, going to see if I can get a thin rubber mat to put the whole thing on toeven things out before filling it any more.
If it was a gap in the middle I wouldn't be so concerned, but the corners need support the most, from everything I have heard.

So it's another delay before I can start cycling. :dunno:

When I was setting up my tall 130 tank it was about 1mm facing down the front. Although it was such a tiny bit off my dad shredded off a little of the legs. After not really any improvements then he added spacers underneath. Now the level is the opposite so 1mm facing the wall which is better than facing the front. That sort of tilt won't move the tank but my dad wanted to do it for peace of mind.

Got what I needed, the yoga mats and anti fatigue mats looked to not be firm enough, so I got a black waterproof shelf liner.
It's only as thick as a credit card, but a roll has enough to double it, going to trimtrim it to fit the whole top of the stand for extra waterproofing, pressed as hard as I could into the roll with my finger and it only compressed about 20%-30%,.

Planning on shimming under the mat with the old plastic cards, and then the mat on top will smooth out any irregularities.
The feet of what I used for an aquarium stand are not adjustable, but thier base fits snugly into the rim of any coin bigger than a dime.

I put a dab of super glue on top of the coin after finding the level, to ensure it wouldn't slide off again.
Going to set the aquarium up on the liner after Thanksgiving, way too much going on to do it before then.

Just fyi....the tank being level is a little different than what the OP is mentioning, though he found it while checking the level.

Rimmed tanks need to be FLAT on a surface to make the tank secure so the glass won't have pressure points.

But the actual water level being off, as long as the bottom rim is flat to a surface, doesn't really affect the tank. At least if it's off a little. If it's a lot then level it! The floor in my house is not level, so none of my tanks are. I did the best to get it close, but hey, I can only do so much. I wouldn't want to shim the tank because it's already on a flat surface. I could CAUSE pressure points that way.

Also...check the level and the smoothness of the stand/piece of furniture it's sitting on too! It could be that and not the tank.

Not yet, finally got it level, but one corner is raised just barely above the hardwood stand.
When it was empty, I was able to run a business card (about 0.5mm) almost all the way along one side, including under one corner. Could also fit a credit card (almost exactly 0.75mm) 2inches under same corner with almost no resistance.

Was going to see if adding any water would help, added 5 gallons, and the business card still fits, but not the credit card.
Not feeling comfortable with this, going to see if I can get a thin rubber mat to put the whole thing on toeven things out before filling it any more.
If it was a gap in the middle I wouldn't be so concerned, but the corners need support the most, from everything I have heard.

So it's another delay before I can start cycling. :dunno:
better than a delay in the cycling proccess itself as those take up a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Back