A question but more importantly a big update!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Aquatony

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Long time, no post. Itā€™s been a long busy year. Iā€™ve been continuing to grow and develop my fresh water tropical tank thanks to all your guidance and help, especially Byron of course!

https://imgur.com/gallery/lUFMFin

I have uploaded 3 pictures to the public IMGUR linked above! You can see my thriving amazon swords, Iā€™m super proud of them, they started off as little guys and Iā€™m so mad I donā€™t really have a good before picture to compare with. Anyways today my kiddo noticed little white spots on the tank glass and on one blade of amazon sword. Thereā€™s a picture of them in the album, Iā€™m wondering what the heck they are? Should I be worried? Scrape it off immediately?

I hope everyone is doing well!! Thanks for all the continued support!

Attachments

• B4A152C3-04B8-41C7-B801-52209B404ACE.jpeg
    B4A152C3-04B8-41C7-B801-52209B404ACE.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 96
They are eggs; probably snail eggs. They'll hatch soon and overrun your tank. Scrape them off gently with a plastic card and and put them in a jar in a warm place and see what they turn into. What fish do you have? It may be fish eggs but I don't really think so.

No snails in the tank... I figured fish eggs wouldā€™ve been in the dense foliage or something not on glass!

Thereā€™s standard tropical... like zebra danio, Cardinal tetra, BN pleco, Cory cat, harlequin raspbora and red eye tetra.

They are eggs; probably snail eggs. They'll hatch soon and overrun your tank. Scrape them off gently with a plastic card and and put them in a jar in a warm place and see what they turn into. What fish do you have? It may be fish eggs but I don't really think so.

Those are fish eggs. Danios, tetras and rasboras are egg scatterers so their eggs would be "scattered" all at once in dense vegetation (moss is a favourite, floating plant roots, or somewhere "hidden") and being sticky adhere to whatever they come into contact with, and usually will be readily eaten by any fish. BN plecos place their eggs on a surface, but they use a cave though if none is present I do not know if they would attach the eggs to the glass; my Farlowella spawn like this photo. Cories also place eggs individually on a surface, and will use anything from plant leaves, filter tubes, heaters, glass tank wall, and wood. Normally cories place their eggs individual in random places throughout the tank, but again I do not know if they might lay them together as here. None of mine ever have.

Next question is. How do I keep them from getting eaten? Will these be a delicacy for any of my other tank dwellers?? Thanks for the help. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re not bacteria or something! I think the tankā€™s doing pretty well!

Saw the pleco already chowing down on one group of the eggs :(

You can cut the leaf off the plant and put it in a breeding net that sits inside the tank and the eggs will continue to develop there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back