a hiding platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

isu_guy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For the last few weeks I've been using my 20 gallon as a quar tank for my 75 which is getting up to the stocking level I want.

My 20 was my only tank a while back and it had a decent amount of decoration in it (driftwood, java moss, clay pot pieces, and a fake plant). After the last batch of fish proved themselves to be healthy I moved them to the 75 and took out most of the decoration (leaving the javamoss of course).

I then got a new batch of fish. I got 3 wagtail platies, a marbled angel and a pleco (There are a few ghost shrimp as well that have managed to survive by hiding in all the deco). These will all go into the 75 with the others if quar goes well.

With almost all the deco out its pretty easy for the fish to be spotted for the most part. Everything seems fine except one platy is hiding big time, found the only spot to hide in the whole tank. I know platies will sometimes hide if there aren't other fish around or if they are birthing. This one is a female but clearly not in a late stage of pregnancy. There aren't a bunch of fish around, but there are the others that all seem to be fine.

All my parameters are in check (ammo 0, 'trite 0, ph 8.1 but constant) - tank has been cycled for about a year.

Do I just have a shy fish or is there something to be concerned about?

You should definatly add more hiding places in the tank as if she is hiding in the only hiding spot in the tank and is not pregnant in the late stages and water stats are good, it is very likely she is the bottom of the pecking order in the community tank and adding more hiding places to the tank will help her feel more secure about coming out of the one hiding place in the tank.

if everything checks out in your water and the fish doesn't seem to be ill, its probably just shy. depending on where is was last it may not be used to the new environment. its best to just add more hideing places and humor the fishes behavior :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Back