A Few Questions About Cycling

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

goldfish98

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, I lost two platys in my 10 gallon in 4 days. I purchased a test kit and a bottle of tetra safestart. I have a few questions though:
1. Should I replace the filter cartridge? After losing 7 fish since January, I think I should but I feel that I should ask you first
2. What exactly is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
3. How much of the SafeStart should I use?

Did you cycle the tank before you added the fish? If not, then that's why your platys died. You need to keep track of your water parameters, a test kit for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are essential. Are you doing regular water changes?

1 - I'm not so sure.

2 - read this if you're doing a fishless cycle (recommended) http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

3 - Not sure what that is, another member may be able to help you with that.

1) It depends, did a disease or something kill your fish? You usually wouldn't want to as this contains your bacteria but it might be good to ease your mind. It'd be good to use a different media than cartridges anyways.

2) "Fish waste, and especially fish breathing, plus uneaten food and other organic matter breaking down in a tank all produce Ammonia. This can quickly become toxic to fish if it is allowed to build up to any measurable levels for any length of time.Cycling is the process of establishing the bacterial colonies in a tank that will process the toxic wastes produced so they are no longer a threat to your fish. This process takes a bit of time (5-6 weeks on average) and a basic understanding of what is going on.

Nature has provided a type of nitrifying bacteria that live in water and which consume ammonia. These bacteria also need oxygen, inorganic carbon (not from a living source) and a bit of iron to turn that ammonia into energy they can use. Unfortunately, the ammonia eating bacteria “poop” out Nitrite which is also toxic to fish. Not quite as toxic as ammonia, but close. Nature again rides to the rescue with another kind of bacteria which consumes nitrite. These also need oxygen and inorganic carbon. And what do these nitrite eaters “poop” out? Nitrate.

Fortunately, nitrate is much less toxic to fish than either ammonia or nitrite. While nature has ways to turn the nitrate into harmless nitrogen gas, they are not practical in most fresh water tanks. So the fish keeper must take steps to remove nitrate. The easiest way for most of us to do this is to change the water in our tanks regularly. This will also help to remove other things we don’t want to build up." Taken from the cycling article HERE, you can also find it at the top of the page 'Cycling A Tank'.

3) I'm not familiar with that product, sorry.

Found this for you on tetra safestart. Thought it was water conditioner at first.
There a thread on the site and it not really proven if it does work that fast as it says it does.

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77961-SafeStart-3-38-Ounce-gallons/dp/B002DZG1BW

Fish In Cycle, With Tetra Safestart - Cycle your Tank ...
10 posts
4 Dec 2013

Used Tetra Safe Start, Questions - New to the Hobby ...
12 posts
13 Aug 2013

Tetra Safe Start And Cycling My New Tank - New to ...
20 posts
19 Dec 2011

Tetra Safe Start - Tropical Discussion
7 posts
3 Jan 2010

More results from www.fishforums.net

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, just did a 50% water change, changed the filter cartridge, and added the safestart. 

Good Luck goldfish98.
Do you mind letting us all know how you get on with the tetra safestart.

Of course not. I plan to test the water tonight. The pet store tested it and said it was fine, but I just can't take them seriously anymore. 

You can find some ammonia at Ace Hardware if you don't have any yet, since you'll need that to cycle the tank. You'll also need a liquid test kit if you don't have one already.

I got a liquid ammonia tester that came with some (pretty poor) test strips. The colors didn't match up at all... but the ammonia test showed 0.1 PPM.

You'll want to have a liquid test for Ammonia & Nitrite & pH would be preferable too.

You'll want to follow the cycling article at the top of the page once you've got those and the ammonia :)

Will do :) I plan to make the tank a very nice betta tank. I think my betta need an upgrade. 

That sounds great! I'm sure he/she will appreciate it.

I just hope my tank isn't permanently "fish killer" if you know what I mean. I lost 7 fish to that tank.

Your fish likely died from the tank not being cycled so I wouldn't worry too much. Sorry for your losses by the way! 
rip.gif

Most reactions

Back