A Few Notes About Pets At Home

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
Just a couple of things really,

I've recently moved to Nottingham so decided to check out the nearby pets at home. I think it's in something called Marina Bay Retail Park or something?
Anyhoo, I was extremely impressed. I didn't speak to any staff, but having looked at the 'information cards' above and below each tank they were all there and 99% were spot on.
The stock all looked healthy and well cared for.
Unlike Sheffield, it is somewhere I'd be happy to buy fish from (if I had my tank with me that is!). They didn't have the greatest range ever, but it was big enough. And the point was that the information seemed good and the fish seemed healthy.

The only thing negative I could comment on is that the goldfish labels we rather a large under estimation. Ie. Comets only getting to I think...20cm and fancys were listed as 10cm

Oh and a second note, my boyfriends brother recently finished a degree in marine biology. He's found it hard to find a fish related job, but his nearby pets at home happens to be opening a fish section.
He has applied for the role of manager, and even though he's obviously extremely knowledgable about marine fish in nature, he knows very little about the workings of a tropical tank.
If he gets the job, which apparently is practically certain due to his degree, he plans to get a tropical tank of his own so he can learn himself. And I'm obviously pointing him in the direction of the forum.

So not only will he probably be a good manager (as he's just generally a nice person), he'll also be a knowledgable manager, and will presumably train any staff under him to the same standards.

Just shows you that pets at home's quality is purely a store to store thing. And 100% dependant on the staff running it. :D

yeah, the PAH in Lincoln is pretty good for fish. The staff are very knowledgeable. We also have a Maidenhead aquatics and i always find their tanks way overstocked.

Most fish shops tanks are overstocked, but as it's temporary and many run on central filtration systems they are normally existing in a body of water much bigger than the tank itself. I don't know if maidenhead is the same...but it might be the case.

Have you been to Wharf aquatics yet? It seems they are for ever winning awards etc!!! Even contemplated the drive from Manchester before now :)

I just googled it, it's north of Nottingham but south of Chesterfield.

So sadly I wont be going, being a student mean I now rely on my bike. :( Shame.

see my local pets at home is rubbish lol, at the moment nearly all the fish are nose diving....must be some kind of internal parasite, either way the dude there says its normal lol muppet.....we need someone like your brother to come to the banbury branch!

ours at Chester (greyhound retail park) is pretty good. One or two staff are knowledgeable and for eg will stop you from putting a plec in a 10 Gallon tank (obviously, but still!) I've been given vouchers for petsathome for my birthday (yesterday!) so gonna go spending tomorrow :D Any advice on new fish for me tank?? I'm not upping the Danios, I give up on those jumpin out of my tank! :angry:

just to put my two cents worth in ( :rolleyes: )
i work for pets at home....and personally before i started working there i wouldnt have bought animals from there (based on the fact they are such a large chain store, and unfortunately dont have a great name) but since working there i have been majourly impressed with the way the animals are kept, and have found that they are employing "animal" knowledgeable staff rather than "saturday kids"! our fish department has those mainly with marine biology degrees, myself with a diploma and having worked with fish for the last 2 years (but even im still learning).
it makes a change to see a positive post for what some of our stores are doing.....thanks

i hope your marine bio. friend gets ANY job in the field...ive had my marine science degree for 7 years, and lemme tell him something...he should ge STRAIGHT back to school and get at least his masters. or he may never get a job in the field. sad truth, but what few jobs are out there for a qualified marine science degree are few and far between (god knows ive applied all over the country to all sorts of positions since i graduated College(and not to toot a horn but graduated highest honors(3.86 GPA) with great references/many internships while in school and STILL can not find that job! i curently teach biology to adults and wait tables to make ends meet). im ever hopeful and keep my ears opened thru various contacts for a serious marine science job...there just arent many, funding is crap, and what few positions are out there are extremely competitive. basically, you need to know the right people or have advanced degree to get anything in the field. and that's not just a US statistic. i have colleagues from all over the globe. most of my friends i graduated with have abandoned the filed altogether, and those lucky enough to find employment actually USING their degree all went straight onto masters/doctoral programs. honestly, best of luck to him :)
sorry to hijack, but would like you to pass the info to him to get back to school..asap if he is serious about the field! no joke :(
cheers

The P@H in Coatbridge is rather good. The staff (well, the one girl I talked to) was very nice and pretty knowledgable (sp?). I was pointed there after going to the P@H in Hamilton looking for my Neons, but they didn't have any due to the tank being treated for Whitespot. I was very impressed with the Coatbridge store. Their fish section is very clean and nice and the tanks are all well looked after, ie no dead/ill-looking fish in any of the tanks.

The only bad thing about it is that it's a bit of a trek from where I live.

ours at Chester (greyhound retail park) is pretty good. One or two staff are knowledgeable and for eg will stop you from putting a plec in a 10 Gallon tank (obviously, but still!) I've been given vouchers for petsathome for my birthday (yesterday!) so gonna go spending tomorrow :D Any advice on new fish for me tank?? I'm not upping the Danios, I give up on those jumpin out of my tank! :angry:

While I think on mate thought I would let you know your corys settled in really well. Can't tell which ones they are now :D

While I think on mate thought I would let you know your corys settled in really well. Can't tell which ones they are now :D

Cool mate that's good to hear :good: I replaced them with some more bronze shortly after.. have you managed to breed any yet?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back