A Feeding Pattern

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AllenLeicester

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wondered if you lot did have a set time for when you feed? Sometimes i wont be able to feed at the same time everyday due to work,But they will deffinetly get fed just not sure if i can get into a set routine. :unsure:

I've never found that feeding at a certain time matters to the fish (except nocturnal species obviously), having a set time for feedings is just good practice to keep from forgetting. I feed before I go to work (around 2-3pm) and after I get off of work, around midnight. However, on the weekends, they get fed earlier.

The amount of feeding depends on many different factor.

The age of the fish: younger fish need food more often
The amount you feed: it has been argued small amounts of food more often, are better than larger amounts all at once
The type of fish: large predators may only need to be fed once every 3 or 4 days
Preference of the keeper: In the wild, most fish don't feed every day, and therefore, the hobbyist has a bid of leeway on feeding. Some people prefer to feed once a day everyday, some prefer to feed twice a day with one day a week of fasting. I prefer the latter, it's really up to you how often you feed, as long as the fish eat all of the food in 30-45 seconds, and none of them are either really fat, or really skinny (barring a pregnant or eggy female).

I feed mine whenever they look hungry or if i know i still haven't fed them...
so today i've already fed them once, and i probably will once more.

Hi,

Mine get fed once a day (in the early evening when the lights come on, as I'm normally at home then), with one day a week off ... apart from the Discus who get fed 3 times a day regardless as they're growing juvies.

I feed my fish (gouramis, tetras, corydoras and bettas) twice a day. Normally pellets in the morning, and spirulina flakes in the evening, with occasional treats (replace mostly the evening feeding with it) of blood worm, artemia, brine shrimp or a veggie.

Just wondered if you lot did have a set time for when you feed? Sometimes i wont be able to feed at the same time everyday due to work,But they will deffinetly get fed just not sure if i can get into a set routine. :unsure:

Depending on what fish you have, it doesn't hurt to go a day every week without feeding them at all - they can go for much, much longer in the wild without finding food.

I feed my fish once every 2 days. Is it enough i have goldies and sharks and gouramis.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back