90 Gallon Adventure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ajs2294

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So a little over a month into my fish keeping journey I have once again purchased another tank. A 90 US gallon 340L tank, that I will be planting. I got it of Craigslist with the stand, hood, one strip light and 2 filters, along with a UV sterilizer plumbed to a Rio pump. I have the filters hooked up and I'm deciding what to do with the UV sterilizer. I added 60 pounds (3 bags) of Eco-Complete Plant Substrate in red, and a Black background. I'm going to add old filter media from my 29 gallon to help speed the cycle. I want to eventually invest in a new light strip with 2 or 3 bulbs, a canister filter and a Co2 kit. But that will be spread over an amount of time. Before I begin planting I also need to find a nice center piece maybe a large piece of driftwood. I'm thinking about getting Discus as there is a local breeder who uses my exact water with no problems and they are very cheap. What other fish could I stock with? Also what kind of plants do well in tall tanks, any good online sellers in the US?

Here are some pictures
Filling:

Filling again:

Front view (The fish is a cheap feeder fish taken from my crayfish tank):

Side View:

Excuse the mess, and the pictures on the floor, they have to be re arranged as the tank was too close

Hiya

Nice looking tank! For discus the tank temperature has to be warmer than usual aquariums so you'll need to bear this in mind when getting plants and dither fish.

For dither fish, a lot of people have neons or cardinals as they are bright and colourful, but not too fast moving that would u[set the discus. I guess any small tetra type that fit that description and doesn't mind it a bit warmer would do fine too.

As far as plants go, I can't really recommend anywhere to you as I'm in the UK lol :rolleyes:

Claire

Well I managed to get some driftwood actually 4 pieces but I LOVE them. I also got a 4 tube T5 light strip with LED moon lights very cheap. I have a canister filter coming this week, along with the plants. Pictures coming soon.

well im excited to watch this post grow,(literally)especially if there are discus in the picture!!

I got the Discus today! 5 are in the tank all about 2 inches. I hope to get pictures asap when they are used to the tank.

Plant Update: I ordered the plants last week and they should be here soon. Can't wait to get planting. I thought they would of come before the discus and I didn't plan on buying the d.scus but there was a great sale/

Here's a few pictures of the discus, they are so shy atm making pictures hard. They'll be at the front swimming around and I'll walk in the room and they all vanish behind the driftwood

And one of my male Albino Bristlenose in the tank

I'm impressed that they even came out for the photo shoot! Beautiful group there.

As far as online vendors in the US, aquariumplants.com, aquabotanic, anubias design. All three vendors have a good product, but use UPS as a carrier. UPS has problems with my address, so many times wonderful plants will arrive in poor condition because of UPS delay in shipping. If UPS doesn't have a problem with your address, then you should be fine. I have had also had success with aquaticmagic based in Singapore. Their plants arrived in excellent condition. They used USPS. Go figure.

Where did you end up getting your plants from?

What is this plant please?

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2489/dsc02271c.jpg

Very nice discus :good:

What is this plant please?

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2489/dsc02271c.jpg

Very nice discus :good:
That's actually a cheap plastic plant (looks a bit like an illegal drug :lol:), its just in there for some initial cover. I ended up purchasing plants from the Aquatic Plant Depot as they were close and allowed for pick up. I planted the tank to the best of my ability but I actually need more substrate as they had much longer roots than expected. will get pictures asap!
Thanks for the replies!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back