8 Fish Dead In Last 10 Days Please Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kaydee

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 130L tank with at last count 11 juvenile Cichlids, ranging from 1” to 4” in size & 1 bristle nose pleco and 1 chubby pleco.
Today’s readings

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.2
Last 30% water change was completed last Thursday.

SO the problem I’m having....over the past week-10days I have lost 8 of my Cichlids. Initially the 1st 2 I saw floating I thought had been terrorized to death but the last 4 I have seen die. They start spinning/rolling round and round, they have come out of the rolling but it starts again and unfortunately they eventually die.

After loosing a few fish last week and not being able to find them I moved their rocks about, unfortunately I found 2 partially rotted bodies and a head. I did a huge water change (75%) rinsed the filter media (in tank water) I had a little peak in my readings after this Amonia <0.25 Nitrite 0.25 Nitrate 5.0 and I did a further 30% water change, this has reduced the readings to the ones given above.
I thought I had overcome the problem but As I post this one of my, what I would call my strongest fish has unfortunately started rolling – his fate seems inevitable and I’m just gutted this is happening.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me/my fish?
Thank you in advance.
Kerry

Tank has been established for about 5 months, 2 of the fish Ive lost I've had in the tank from the start. The remaning fish that have died have been in the tank for 4 weeks, 4 from a breeder and 2 from my LFS.

On 2nd July I introduced the bristle nose I got him from a neighbour who was rehoming him. Now I'm really worried he's introduced some kind of infection to the tank?

Sounds like it could be the dreaded 'whirling disease'. Have a google and see if that sounds like what your fish are suffering from.

If it is that, then there's no cure that I know of; you'll just have to see what manages to pull through :-(

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's something else; you could try an anti-bacterial, like Myxazin, and see if that helps.

Sounds like it could be the dreaded 'whirling disease'. Have a google and see if that sounds like what your fish are suffering from.

If it is that, then there's no cure that I know of; you'll just have to see what manages to pull through :-(

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's something else; you could try an anti-bacterial, like Myxazin, and see if that helps.

Hi fluttermoth, unfortunately it looks as if its Whirling disease, after reading up on it the ones that have died has displayed the symptoms. I’ve just had to euthanize the last victim. Looks like Im just going to have sit here and hope for the best, but its not looking good for the rest of my tank. I’m loosing 1 a day at this rate. Truly gutted. :no:

Sorry to hear about this. If you can, try and do daily water changes, as large as you can. good luck

Most reactions

trending

Back