7Gallon/30litre Fish Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Algae Nibbler

Reaction score
I have 5/6 zebra danios, 3 orange platys(BECAUSE THE ONE DAY I WENT TO THE FISH SHOP THEY ONLY HAD ORANGE), a ramshorn snail, and a siamese algae eater.

Yes, I'm afraid so.

It's not only that you have too many fish, but none of the species you have are suitable for such a small tank.

The danios are very active; we always recommend a tank that's at least three feet long for them.

The platies get quite large, and a 60l tank should be the absolute minimum size they're kept in.

The Siamese algae eater can grow to around six inches in length, and shouldn't be in anything less than a four foot tank.

I knew that the zebras and algae eater was not very good for it but at my store, there weren't many options. I might get a bigger tank later though. If you have any recommendations or cleaning requirements, tell me.

You'll need to do plenty of water changes; as big and as often as you can, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated, of course.

I can't really recommend tanks; I pick mine up second-hand when and where I find one going cheap!

I live in Malaysia so it's quite warm. I do a 40% water change every week and have plenty of plants:) My fish have been doing well for the past month and a 1/2

That's not enough water changes for such an overstocked tank. I'd recommend 60 or 75%, two or three times a week, until you can sort out something better for them. I appreciate things might be more difficult for you, being in Malaysia, but even a plastic storage box would give them more space and water.

Your fish might have seemed all right up to now, but the danios will be stressed if they can't swim around properly, which could lead to stress related illnesses, or shorten their lives.

The bigger fish could well become stunted if they don't get more room to grow; stunting also leads to health problems, and deformities in the fish :/

It really depends on whether your water is hard or soft, and the dimensions of the tank.

Do you get limescale building up on your taps/kettle/shower/washing machine?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back