60 Litre Tropical Fish Tank (Help Required) >Urgently<

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

William93

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
                    I bought a fish tank (60L) roughly 2 weeks ago. Some items I also bought were, Plants (Live/Fake), Gravel And Ornaments. The tank came with a filter and heater as well as the filter cartridges. Anyways, I cycled the fish tank and had it up and running for 4 days. I introduced 5 fish on Monday. 2 guppies, 3 Neon blue tetra's. By Monday evening My First guppy died, it stayed up at surface, literally a millimetre below. As if it struggled to swim, Then by thursday my first Tetra died (They seemed to be absolutely fine until then.) Now as I have returned home from work, the remaining 2 blue tetras both died. No signs of any visible diseases on my fish. Some of my live plants don't look so alive, and my water seems rather cloudy. I have a 6 in 1 tester kit. Nothing seems to be wrong and i was putting it down to my plants turning the water murky. My remaining fish swims fine, goes to the bottom and swims around the tank, BUT the huge majority of its time is spent right at the surface. I'm worried I'm doing something far wrong, and have put a lot of money into trying to make this work. I know very little about keeping fish and wanted to learn and keep them. Started to think if i would need an air pump. Done so much research and seem to find nothing. Hoping some one with a lot of experience can lend a helping hand and give me some guidance. 

Thanks.

Cycling a tank doesn't just involve setting things up and letting it run for 4 days, you've introduced your fish too soon, they are dying of ammonia and or nitrite toxicity. You will need to do 50% water changes daily for the next few weeks to ensure your remaining fish stand any chance of surviving until a healthy colony of the correct bacteria build up within the filter.

KirkyArcher said:
Cycling a tank doesn't just involve setting things up and letting it run for 4 days, you've introduced your fish too soon, they are dying of ammonia and or nitrite toxicity. You will need to do 50% water changes daily for the next few weeks to ensure your remaining fish stand any chance of surviving until a healthy colony of the correct bacteria build up within the filter.
50% would be the minimum, i would suggest more like 60-80%

check the resource centre in my sig for advice on fish-in cycling, which is what you will now be doing

welcomeani.gif
to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here. Sorry you're having some issues!

As has been said, your tank is not properly cycled. Have a read of THIS to see what you should have done.

I recommend returning the fish you still have back to the LFS and doing a fish-less cycle.
If you do not want to do so then you'll want to post up your pH, temperature, ammonia & nitrite levels so someone can advise you on when you need to be changing the water. 

You'll also want to pick up a liquid test kit as if I'm not mistaken the 6 in 1 are strips and are highly innacurate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back