60 Litre Tropical Fish Aquarium Set Up, How Many Fish To Have?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bubbleuniverse

Reaction score
Ok first post, I have a 60 litre tank which i have had for 4 months now, we cycled it for 6 weeks before getting any fish and started with 4 guppies (2 black male guppies and 2 cobra guppies) and 2 bronze cory catfish. About 4 weeks ago we bought 6 neon tetras to join the fish community and we lost 1 of the cobra guppies, either through my supidity when doing the water change or it died and was eaten, one day it was there the next morning it was not. So will be going this week to finally replace that guppy with a new one and was wondering whether adding 2 more of another breed (def not barbs as know they are fin nippers)obviously a breed that doesnt get too big no more than 3 inches max. Should I do this or just replace the guppy as not to overstock or will getting another 2 be ok for the tank size. Also any suggestions on good fish to get if you think I can add to the tank.

Cheers

Have a look at the stocking list in my signature - I have the same size tank to you and very similar stocking. Your cories would be happier if you bought 4 more - they like to be in groups of at least six.

With guppies you need at least two or three females to every male, or of you're keeping only males you'll want quite a big group to prevent a dominant bully forming.

You say you want 2 more of a different breed but this limits you as most fish like to be in bigger groups than this. A single male dwarf gourami, or a trio (1M 2F) of another suitable gourami might be a nice choice though.

id add some more corys to your 2 as they will do better in a group then maybe a group of ember tetra to go with them or something along those lines?

Given that a 60l tank is generally speaking only suitable for streamlined fish (with a small girth/ body volume) and furniture/sand will use some volume, I'd say <30cm of expected adult length fish.

For example, I have 7 ~4cm adult Persian Killifish in a Korall60 (54l) i.e. ~28cm.

Thank you for the comments, I only put to add 2 more as didnt really know how many more to put in but looking at what you are saying im thinking upto 15-18 fish altogether wouldnt lead to overstock? thats including the 11 ive already got and taking into account making sure they are not too big adult size, will def go for another 2 guppies then with my replacement one as the 2 black ones do seem to harass the cobra at times, hopefully that will then help,does it matter if they are a different variety of guppy or is it best to stick to the ones i already have? had thought of adding to the catfish too, only got 2 to start with, with the 4 guppies as didnt want to put to many in first time round. really appreciate the help, I researched lots before getting the fish but so many online pages have conflicting advice it gets a bit confusing though im sure there will be varying advice on here too depending on peoples experience.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back