6 Male Guppy Fish Who Have Appeared To Stop Growing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishkeeper1092

Reaction score
So about 6 months ago I had about 8 fry. I did not know who the parents were exactly but I knew the parents were in the tank. There were 4 males and 4 females. The females have grown up to adult size and have taken on their colour quite nicely but the problem is with the males. The 4 males grew at a decent rate and took on the colour around the time guppy fish usually do. They are all identical in colour (you can see in the picture attached what they look like) and are the same size. What I noticed however was that while their whole body is coloured now, their tail is small and clear with no sign of colour. The tails look like how they do right when they’re born except they’ve grown a bit. They are only 2cm long after all 6 months and now I’m just confused. They’ve been fed everyday and have lived with only 4 other adults in a 26 gallon tank since they were born. I don’t think that their growth was stunted in any way but at this point I’m so confused that I don’t really know what’s going on with them. They are old enough that they’ve began “chasing” the females and doin their dirty dance too by the way.

My first thought was that they were tetras since they have neon orange and a foil blue colouring but that’s impossible since I’ve never owned tetras tetras of course can’t breed with guppies so that doesn’t really make sense. Another strange thing is that I have had a new group of fry born only 4 months ago and the males have already surpassed the 6 month old guppy fish in size and have gained all their colour and have a fully coloured tail.

Right now I’m just looking for any answers. Should I expect them to grow still or should I just except the fact they’ll stay only 2cm long and never have a coloured tail. Thanks for the help in advance :)

Btw the picture attached doesn’t really show how colourful the guppy is but take my word for it that he is quite colourful (except for the tail of course. It pretty much invisible)

Attachments

• 08B3B625-B58D-4DC0-B0E1-24AF40362C71.png
    08B3B625-B58D-4DC0-B0E1-24AF40362C71.png
    427.5 KB · Views: 230
I think your 'problem' is that these aren't purebred guppies; they are guppy/Endler hybrids.

Endler's don't grow as large as guppies, and do differ in colouration.

I agree with fluttermoth. You've got yourself some adorable endler hybrids. Super cute and fun little fish!

they crossed endlers with guppies about 50 years ago to get more colour into guppies. Presumably the breeders have added new endler bloodlines to strengthen guppies because they are a really weak fish nowadays from inbreeding.

I think your 'problem' is that these aren't purebred guppies; they are guppy/Endler hybrids.

Endler's don't grow as large as guppies, and do differ in colouration.

Ah okay. Looks like I learned something new. So should I expect these to stay the way they are or do they just take more time to grow? Like I said they’re only about 2cm after 6 months.

they crossed endlers with guppies about 50 years ago to get more colour into guppies. Presumably the breeders have added new endler bloodlines to strengthen guppies because they are a really weak fish nowadays from inbreeding.

Makes sense. Thanks for the help. I learned something new :)

I agree with fluttermoth. You've got yourself some adorable endler hybrids. Super cute and fun little fish!

They are SOOO cute. It’s just too bad cause my favourite thing about guppy fish is seeing them grow up and have beautiful tails be developed but having them stay small adds more variety to the tank aswell so it’s fine with me if they stay the way they are :)

Ah okay. Looks like I learned something new. So should I expect these to stay the way they are or do they just take more time to grow? Like I said they’re only about 2cm after 6 months.

They will stay smaller than guppies,and don't have the really fancy tails like male guppies.

They are SOOO cute. It’s just too bad cause my favourite thing about guppy fish is seeing them grow up and have beautiful tails be developed but having them stay small adds more variety to the tank aswell so it’s fine with me if they stay the way they are :)
I actually find these guys more interesting than guppies. They come in a huge variety of colors and patterns and they are very busy and active and use the entire tank as a playground. AND they have very small bioloads! Unlike guppies who are pigs!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back