FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would it be better to buy 2 smaller heaters for a 55 gallon tank for each end of the tank or would 1 300watt for up to 75 gallons heat the tank evenly?? Thanks!!!

I use a single 300 watt on my 60 gal but I got the fluval type so it's not going to break and kill the fish if you go with a cheaper brand then two smaller ones would be better.

Two smaller ones are a good idea IMO as if one breaks the other can still keep it relatively warm until you're able to get another.

I only have one in my 55g though. :c

I would get a Hydor external, as I find they give a good overall temperature to the aquarium, as well as the hardware being outside the aquarium. In respect to a heater breaking, always have one in reserve (does not need to be another Hydor for a backup). Ask yourself how often you are likely to be away long enough for the temperature in the house/aquarium to drop so low that it would kill the fish? Generally speaking fish tolerate gradual changes in temperature, it is when there is a sudden change that there is an issue. Normally, you would be able to correct any issues fairly swiftly. I agree that a good quality heater is better than a cheaper one. If you wanted to be really extravagant, fit a Hydor to two external filters ;)

mrstwalker said:
Would it be better to buy 2 smaller heaters for a 55 gallon tank for each end of the tank or would 1 300watt for up to 75 gallons heat the tank evenly?? Thanks!!!
To be safe I personaly would o do smaller ones on the end so that way it can be even throughout. Just my thought I am not the best with heaters though.
Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back