55G Community - What To Add?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 55g tank stocked with 4 pearl gouramis, 10 tiger barbs, 2 pairs of German Blue Rams, 8 bloodfin tetras, a common pleco and 6 green Corys. The tank is looking a bit empty, I have a lot of plant cover and structure, temp is at 80, pH of 7. Water is quite soft. Curious what kinds of fish I could add, if any, to liven things up a bit. I just removed 3 tinfoil barbs and replaced them with the gouramis. Thanks ahead of time!

Some fish I was thinking of:
-Roseline shark (Don't know a lot about them. They just look pretty cool)
-Jewel Cichlids
-Kribnesis
-Female Altum Angel

Open to anything! Always nice reading up on new fish!

Well if you add up all the fish you get

110 inches of fish            

Well, that's assuming all of the fish are full size. Which they're far from. My rams are juveniles, 1" in length. Same with my tiger barbs. Gouramis are only 2". And I'm just curious what other types of fish would work with the current fish and water parameters I am at. Just for general information if I decide to swap fish out or move to a larger tank.

Edit: And I'm only coming up with 76" of fish. Using full size calculations, excluding the common pleco because he's only 6". Using their current size, I'm at 46" of fish. All of this using the '1 inch of fish per gallon' guideline, when in reality, 37 bloodfin tetras wouldnt come close to filling my tank to optimum capacity, even though the ratio adds up.

punch them all in at www.aqadvisor.com

guess i cant post links.. 

cchris; that site is widely recognised as being inaccurate and misleading, which is why we don't allow links to it.

Brahmza; when you're calcutating stocking levels, you need to use the eventual, adult size of the fish, not the size they are now, as you need to leave them room to grow.

None of the fish on your list are compatable with your current fish;

roseline sharks need cooler temperatures
jewel cichlids are very aggressive and would attack/kill most of your other fish
the kribs would compete for space with your rams and, being much bigger and bolshier, would bully or even kill them
altum angels are very delicate, and also need a tank at least 24" in depth.

I would honestly leave things as they are and wait for your fish to grow :)

You're welcome :)

One last piece of advice; I would try and rehome the common plec; it's only going to outgrow your tank, and there are lots of other plec species that would be better suited :good:

Yeah I'm actually doing that today. I got a BNP yesterday evening. Giving the common to my brother for his 90g. Would adding ghost shrimp cause any issue?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back