Hello,

Just wanted to get some opinions on my stocking for a planted 55gal:

2 x German Blue Ram
5 x Pentazona Barb
6 x Silver Hatchetfish
8 x Cardinal Tetra
6 x Bronze Cory
6 x Adolfoi Cory

And then if this goes well and I want more, I'll probably get a pair of Golden Rams.

Thoughts?

There's a few things to mention... the temp you choose to keep the tank will be important. GBRs get sick if they are kept in too cold of water... but those other fish are near their top tolerances... 80F (27C) is likely the optimal temperature for all involved here.

Next... you are considering a sand substrate (or similar) right? You won't see the corydoras in their true state without it. Also, it would likely be better to just keep 1 species of corydoras at larger numbers than fewer of 2 species.

The pentazona barbs really wouldn't be suitable at the temps you need. It would be best to scratch them entirely and bump up the shoals of the others.

And, each pair of rams would require their own territory, and unless you are getting each pair as a bonded pair, they may not be happy together at all. An alternative species that might open up the stocking a little would be to exchange the rams for some apistogrammas. You can keep a single male with a harem of females and it would produce a similar setup to the rams. It would also lower the temp requirements and put the rest of the fish in a similar 'comfort' zone.

My recommendation would be:
  • think about exchange the 2 pairs of rams for a harem of apistogrammas... 4-5 apistos (1m, 3-4f)
  • toss out the barbs and increase the hatchet and cardinal numbers (11 or so each - I like odd numbers)
  • stick to one species of corydoras (11+ of these)

There's a few things to mention... the temp you choose to keep the tank will be important. GBRs get sick if they are kept in too cold of water... but those other fish are near their top tolerances... 80F (27C) is likely the optimal temperature for all involved here.

Next... you are considering a sand substrate (or similar) right? You won't see the corydoras in their true state without it. Also, it would likely be better to just keep 1 species of corydoras at larger numbers than fewer of 2 species.

The pentazona barbs really wouldn't be suitable at the temps you need. It would be best to scratch them entirely and bump up the shoals of the others.

And, each pair of rams would require their own territory, and unless you are getting each pair as a bonded pair, they may not be happy together at all. An alternative species that might open up the stocking a little would be to exchange the rams for some apistogrammas. You can keep a single male with a harem of females and it would produce a similar setup to the rams. It would also lower the temp requirements and put the rest of the fish in a similar 'comfort' zone.

My recommendation would be:
  • think about exchange the 2 pairs of rams for a harem of apistogrammas... 4-5 apistos (1m, 3-4f)
  • toss out the barbs and increase the hatchet and cardinal numbers (11 or so each - I like odd numbers)
  • stick to one species of corydoras (11+ of these)
Yep, having all soil and sand - with maybe some small natural coloured gravel.

Well I already have 2 bonded GBRs so no luck there lol.

I actually did plan on having the tank sit somewhere between 78-80 as the Rams were raised in cooler water anyway.

I thought Penta barbs could tolerate 78? If not, what barbs COULD I have?

Edit: I also already have 2 fully grown Bronzes (I know they need 6, I will buy 4 more for the 55 gal), and 4 baby Adolfois (again, will buy 2 more).

Yep, having all soil and sand - with maybe some small natural coloured gravel.

Well I already have 2 bonded GBRs so no luck there lol.

I actually did plan on having the tank sit somewhere between 78-80 as the Rams were raised in cooler water anyway.

I thought Penta barbs could tolerate 78? If not, what barbs COULD I have?

Edit: I also already have 2 fully grown Bronzes (I know they need 6, I will buy 4 more for the 55 gal), and 4 baby Adolfois (again, will buy 2 more).

I see. So you are working with an existing stock.

You are right.... the barbs can handle 78, but that's pretty much the highest of their tolerance. Harlequin rasboras (a bit smaller than the barbs) would fill a similar role in the tank as the barbs and are super peaceful mid-water shoalers. In fact, they might shoal a bit more than the barbs would in that tank. They have a similar coloration, though not the same pattern. The harleys are good up to about 82F.

And the cories in this case... you've got to do what you've got to do. Best to keep them in proper numbers. The 6 of each of the cories will work.

I will say basically the same thing as what has been suggested in this thread.

Basically, if you intend having blue rams in the tank, the temperature should be no lower than 80F but preferably higher, 82-84F [I'll stay with imperial temp as you seem to be using that]. At lower temperatures, this species will not live a normal lifespan (being raised in cooler water does not affect their permanent need for warm water, it is their physiology). The barbs will have serious difficulty long-term with this warmth. The cories will also. Depending what species the Silver Hatchetfish are, they would prefer it lower; Gasteropelecus sternicla would find 80F and above difficult long-term, whereas Thoracocharax stellatus would be OK in 80-82F. The Carnegiella species should not be above 79F long term. Only the cardinals will enjoy the warmth.

The barbs (presumably Desmopuntius pentazona) should be in a group of at least 8-10.

I would increase both cory species even further as you have the room and the more there are the happier they will be and that means better health. The soil (even under a top layer of sand) would worry me as cories like to dig into the substrate and they can do this to the extent of buying a third of their body, and sometimes this can cause issues if they get into the soil. I am not meaning simply mess, but water condition issues. Soil tanks may affect water chemistry and ammonia can be an issue for the first six months or so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back