55 gallon stocking...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What would I tell someone if they asked me what my kh and gh was? Also what fish in South America and south east Asia can I put in a 55 gall? The tank is a sand substrate with natural rocks and manzanita wood.. suggestions?..

What would I tell someone if they asked me what my kh and gh was? Also what fish in South America and south east Asia can I put in a 55 gall? The tank is a sand substrate with natural rocks and manzanita wood.. suggestions?..

Back in post #14 the GH is 27 ppm or 1.5 dGH. The KH is 9 ppm, or 0.5 dKH.

As for fish species...you wanted to pin it down to a specific watercourse. ?? You could do a flooded Amazon forest, an Amazon creek or stream, a SE Asian swamp or pond or stream...

Back in post #14 the GH is 27 ppm or 1.5 dGH. The KH is 9 ppm, or 0.5 dKH.

As for fish species...you wanted to pin it down to a specific watercourse. ?? You could do a flooded Amazon forest, an Amazon creek or stream, a SE Asian swamp or pond or stream...
I think I would be interested in a amazon lake or river or something.

I think I would be interested in a amazon lake or river or something.

My suggestion would be to find some fish you would like to have, then determine their habitat origin (from SF as I previously mentioned) and you can then search for fish that live in the same watercourse.

Go to a pet shop and make a list of fish you like. Then post it on here and we can tell you where they come from and what will go well together in your tank.

You can rule out the live bearers because your water is too soft.

From what you have said if you choose S. American you could have a good school of tetras, perhaps 2 types of 12-15 each and some Corydoras. Convict cichlids are possibly too territorial and aggressive if you are starting out. You could possibly add a bristlenose and perhaps some Apistos if you feel the need for a "centrepiece" fish.

If you choose Asian you could have a selection of Danios and Rasbora with a group of smaller loach such as dwarf chain loach.

Do research whatever you decide on to establish temerature, compatability and temperement.

Here is an example of what I have done in my 55 (although I do have some Asian fish in a mostly S American tank :))
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/f...r-2018-tank-of-the-month.449369/#post-3798414

You can rule out the live bearers because your water is too soft.

From what you have said if you choose S. American you could have a good school of tetras, perhaps 2 types of 12-15 each and some Corydoras. Convict cichlids are possibly too territorial and aggressive if you are starting out. You could possibly add a bristlenose and perhaps some Apistos if you feel the need for a "centrepiece" fish.

If you choose Asian you could have a selection of Danios and Rasbora with a group of smaller loach such as dwarf chain loach.

Do research whatever you decide on to establish temerature, compatability and temperement.

Here is an example of what I have done in my 55 (although I do have some Asian fish in a mostly S American tank :))
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/f...r-2018-tank-of-the-month.449369/#post-3798414

Live bearers are like my favorite though...
Any way I can make the water harder?

Live bearers are like my favorite though...
Any way I can make the water harder?
You can add a Rift Lake water conditioner to the water and it will increase the general hardness (GH) & pH, and make it suitable for livebearers. However, if you do increase the hardness & pH too much, it will mean you can't keep the other fish because they prefer soft water with a neutral to slightly acid pH. Rift Lake water conditioner raises the pH to about 8.5, which is too high for most tetras.

If you want livebearers then raise the GH to 200+ppm for platies and guppies, or 250+ppm for mollies.

If you do raise the GH above 200ppm, tetras, angels, Bettas, etc won't do as well. So if you want guppies, platies and tetras, keep the GH around 200ppm and check the pH. Otherwise get two tanks and have livebearers in one and tetras in the other.

Adding mineral salts as Colin suggested is one method, but keep in mind this means having to prepare your water for any water changes so you maintain a reasonably similar GH/KH/pH during water changes. And purchasing these additives can get expensive depending upon your budget. It is adding yet another layer to the complexity.

You can also use a calcareous substrate sand. But this will raise pH high, OK for livebearers but not the other fish that are without question better with the water you have as it is.

In case you are not familiar with mineral salts, this does not refer to "salt" as common salt sodium chloride, but rather to the salts of "hard" minerals like calcium and magnesium. You do not want common salt (sodium chloride) in a freshwater tank as this can cause issues for freshwater fish.

If you put livebearers into soft water, they don't do very well. If you can find locally bred fish they will probably be ok but any imported fish will struggle and usually die prematurely. Mollies in particular, need hard water and without it they come down with all sorts of health issues.

What will happen if I do put live bearers in anyways?

This is cruel to the fish, and they will not be in good health and will die prematurely.

Fish that have evolved over thousands of years to live in moderately hard water have a physiology that needs the minerals in that water in order to function. When placed in soft water, they are unable to function normally, and this weakens them, weakening the immune system, and then various issues can occur after that.

Your water is very soft, so it is not even close to being suitable. You have so many options among soft water species that is the envy of many aquarists faced with hard water.

Your water is very soft, so it is not even close to being suitable. You have so many options among soft water species that is the envy of many aquarists faced with hard water.
I agree - I'd love to have water like that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back