55 Gallon Goldfish Adventure!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Raticataticus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello friends
biggrin.png

I thought I would do a journal for my new tank. It's a 215L / 55 gallon Aqua One AquaStyle 980.

The measurements are 99cm x 47cm x 50cm (that's a little over 3ft long for all of you non-metrics)

I got it for $688 including the stand and filter (it has one of those filter setups that run thought the top). It was my lucky day. It was advertised as $1000 and something and then they were doing 20% off. Somehow I managed to convince the guy to knock another $20 bucks off the price. And they delivered it too.

This is my first time having something larger than a nano tank, so I am deadset excited.
My plan at the moment is to do fancy goldfish, I really love Orandas and Ranchus. I find them to be super cute.

I am still considering whether or not to have any non-goldfish tank mates. Please feel free to share your thoughts on potential goldfish tank mates.

rsz_aquastyle-850-aquarium-black.jpg

And now for some pictures. 

It looked huge in the packaging 
IMG_2307_zpsa4574d5b.jpg

Here is the cabinet half-built. Yes it was a pain in the neck to build, in case you are wondering. I needed to use a drill to get most of the screws in.

IMG_2302_zps7e8d9415.jpg

And all put together

IMG_2308_zps163b481a.jpg

IMG_2309_zps119c7dad.jpg

I am thinking a black background. I was going to do a bare bottom but because of the padding stuff that comes with it, the base isn't black like I thought it would be. I want to do a sand/fine gravel of some sort but am unsure on the colour. Thoughts?

Sounds exciting! I love that you are considering fancies for this tank, not many people dedicate larger aquariums to goldies.  I'm not sure about tank mates because I'm very under-educated about goldies, but perhaps weather loaches? Of course do research first as I'm not sure they would be compatible.  

As for the substrate with such messy fish I would advise to stay away from the lighter colors as poop is very visible on them. A brown/tan color very fine gravel would be nice, or black sand, although poo will still be visible on the black it isn't as bad as white or very light beige. 

I have a black background on my tank and I do like it, the plants and fish stand out against it especially with the lights on, but I also like blue backgrounds as it just seems to make the tank seem brighter and livelier imo - it's a personal matter what color you choose.  It also depends on whether or not you are thinking of having some plants/decorations.

Good luck and as always happy fishkeeping! 
yay.gif

I think weather loaches need something like a 75g, but could easily be wrong. I think on your other thread you were wanting to do 3-4 goldies.
That would be the most you want to do I think and I wouldn't add on to that bioload. In terms of compatibility though I believe they are one of the few fish that work well with them, from what I've read anyways.

I always vote for black sand. I have it in all my tanks and find it beautiful, and of course it makes fish colors pop, especially if you're going with red and/or white goldies.
I like black backgrounds too. Ofcourse it is up to you though
smile.png

What sort of filtration is on this? I ask since goldies are very messy so you want very good filtration.

squidneh said:

I have a black background on my tank and I do like it, the plants and fish stand out against it especially with the lights on, but I also like blue backgrounds as it just seems to make the tank seem brighter and livelier imo - it's a personal matter what color you choose.  It also depends on whether or not you are thinking of having some plants/decorations.

Good luck and as always happy fishkeeping! 
yay.gif

I will probably have a mixture of real and fake plants. I just ordered some black background off ebay, so no turning back now.

Ninjouzata said:
I think weather loaches need something like a 75g, but could easily be wrong. I think on your other thread you were wanting to do 3-4 goldies.
That would be the most you want to do I think and I wouldn't add on to that bioload. In terms of compatibility though I believe they are one of the few fish that work well with them, from what I've read anyways.

I always vote for black sand. I have it in all my tanks and find it beautiful, and of course it makes fish colors pop, especially if you're going with red and/or white goldies.
I like black backgrounds too. Ofcourse it is up to you though
smile.png

What sort of filtration is on this? I ask since goldies are very messy so you want very good filtration.

I would happily have one less goldfish in order to have a tank mate.

I want to do black sand, it's just a matter of finding some.

The filtration is the through-the-top type thing. Like a noob version of a sump. It gets sucked up and then sprayed out via a spray bar and then runs through the sponge/carbon/noodles and then back down into the tank.

The loaches also like groups I believe, so that's more bioload again. Sorry I forgot to mention that :(

Unfortunately I'm not sure where you'd find black sand there. I was hoping you'd know what exact filter it is though..so we'd know what sort of LPH it's doing and such.

Ninjouzata said:
The loaches also like groups I believe, so that's more bioload again. Sorry I forgot to mention that
sad.png

Unfortunately I'm not sure where you'd find black sand there. I was hoping you'd know what exact filter it is though..so we'd know what sort of LPH it's doing and such.

What are your thoughts on 3 goldies and one Bristlenose?

The pump says it does 1000L/hr , does that help?

I'm sure I will be able to suss out some black sand from somewhere, it's just a matter of patience and keeping your eye out.
Black background is ordered from eBay along with some ammonia. Hopefully they will both be here by the weekend and I'll be able to get the cycle started.

$_1.JPG

So the background arrived today but still no sign of the ammonia. I didn't realise it wasn't adhesive so I spent like 45 minutes trying to peel off the backing. Then my friend tells me that they aren't supposed to be sticky. 
evilmad.gif
 I don't have any tape to stick it on with, hence no pictures.

I went to my local pet store today to get dechloriator. They had some "Black Quartz" gravel on 20% off so I bought enough for the tank. I am unsure whether I will use it yet though. It looks cool but it seems really sharp because it is crushed quartz I suppose. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I haven't opened it so I can tank it back if I need to. This is the stuff I bought in case anyone wants to take a look http://www.petbarn.com.au/fish/aquarium-ornaments-plants-gravel-decor/sand-gravel/pisces-quartz-gravel-diamond-black-quartz-2kg.html

Then I spotted this piece of driftwood for ten bucks so I bought it. I like that it's quite flat so it won't stick up in the middle of the tank, that way I can focus more on plants and it won't injure the goldfish.

photo-32.jpg

Blacks sand available in Oz -

Tahitian Moon Sand - VERY expensive, but looks great....

Black Quartz Sand - Not really cheap either, but cheaper than the above....very very fine stuff!

Alasse said:
Blacks sand available in Oz -

Tahitian Moon Sand - VERY expensive, but looks great....

Black Quartz Sand - Not really cheap either, but cheaper than the above....very very fine stuff!
Too late. Ended up just using the black quartz gravel stuff that I bought. Tank is filling as we speak!

Woohoo! Gravel and water are in!

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

All full! Sorry about the bubbles.

photo4.jpg

The cycle starts tomorrow. I've got my ammonia but I am waiting for my mum to bring my test kit over. I am trying to suss out some mature filter media but no one seems to want to lend me any :(

Well you are in luck....guess who lives in Toowoomba!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back