Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a question, would
6 neon tetras
4 ghost catfish
5 harlequin rasbora
5 school (size small whatever i choose)
4-5 hatchets
& 6 shrimp be too much for a 55 gallon?

Those numbers will not be sufficient, the opposite of being too many. Shoaling species need a group, and while we sometimes get stuck with minimum numbers, we should always keep in mind that the more fish in the species group, the better the fish will be, with very few exceptions. When you have the tank space, as you do here, larger groups (perhaps with fewer species, depending what you decide on) will mean healthier and happier fish.

Rasbora and hatchets in particular need larger groups. The ghost catfish too. And the neons would be happier. But before going further, we need to know your water parameters. GH (general hardness) and pH especially, also KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) is worth knowing. Check with your municipal water authority if you don't already know this data, on their website they may have the data posted.

I will just mention about the ghost catfish, presumably the species Kryptopterus vitreolus which is also known commonly as the glass catfish...this is a very shy species requiring a dimly lit and heavily planted aquarium. More data here:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/kryptopterus-vitreolus/

Last edited:
Agreed. Apologies if this doesn't need to be said but please please read the threads on fishless cycling before adding fish.

Those numbers were not be sufficient, the opposite of being too many. Shoaling species need a group, and while we sometimes get stuck with minimum numbers, we should always keep in mind that the more fish in the species group, the better the fish will be, with very few exceptions. When you have the tank space, as you do here, larger groups (perhaps with fewer species, depending what you decide on) will mean healthier and happier fish.

Rasbora and hatchets in particular need larger groups. The ghost catfish too. And the neons would be happier. But before going further, we need to know your water parameters. GH (general hardness) and pH especially, also KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) is worth knowing. Check with your municipal water authority if you don't already know this data, on their website they may have the data posted.

I will just mention about the ghost catfish, presumably the species Kryptopterus vitreolus which is also known commonly as the glass catfish...this is a very shy species requiring a dimly lit and heavily planted aquarium. More data here:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/kryptopterus-vitreolus/

Okay, ill check all that and heavily plant my aquarium before adding these guys.
I know about pH & Hardness but not sure about kH. Ill also look into that, thanks for your help.
Ill up my number a bit for each so they can be happy & also plant their tanks some more.

Okay, ill check all that and heavily plant my aquarium before adding these guys.
I know about pH & Hardness but not sure about kH. Ill also look into that, thanks for your help.
Ill up my number a bit for each so they can be happy & also plant their tanks some more.

Let us know the GH and pH when you find out. Some of the fish mentioned have very specific needs in this regard. Also, we can help with the numbers; a couple fish makes a big difference to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back