50 Litre Tank Setup?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BettaMan2000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

If I divide a 50 litre tank into 2 sections for 2 betta fish.

Do I need two separate heaters and two separate filters, where should I place them and is there any specific recommended heater/filter type that i should go for?

Please help!

One way to divide a tank is by having three sections, a small section in the middle and larger ones at each end for a fish. There are a couple of advantages to this - the centre section is the perfect place for a heater and filter; and the fish can't see each other properly through two dividers. If the dividers are mesh rather than solid, filtered and heated water can pass through to both sections.

Since bettas don't like much current, a sponge filter powered by an air pump is ideal for them.

If you do go down this route, make sure the divider is secure. I remember my dad did a diy divider and it just kept coming off or floating away especially during water changes or when cleaning. It was quite a nightmare for him and he ended up rehoming one of the fish.

Also, go for a rectangle shaped tank rather than a cube one as the bettas will be able to utilise more space. They are not good swimmers and often need to come up for air

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back