5 Angels...but what if?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So if 5 Angels are the magic number for my tank, what happens if you end up with 2 pairs and 1 is alone? Would it not be better to have 6?

I know it is the luck of the draw to even end up with pairs, because when they are little how does one tell the sex of them...but it is a thought...why 5 only?

You should have asked that question in the original topic. What is your tank size? Maybe it's to small for 2 pairs anyway? Guess you have to rehome some later no matter how it turns out. Except the highly unlikely case you only have one single sex.

Agree. The reason five is recommended as the minimum is that it should avoid one fish being picked on more than the others, which is much more of a certainty with two, three or four. But as in all things fish, individual fish do not always read the textbooks and may behave contrary to the norm for the species, so it can still go either way. But the probability is that five or more will spread the normal aggression sufficiently.

As for the pairing, it would be unlikely that you would end up with three males and three females, and even if you did, they may not accept each other so far as forming three bonded pairs. More likely, one male would become the dominant and choose a mate (maybe, maybe not) and the other fish would be submissive, whether male or female. However, a bonded pair in a 55g is likely to require separation, as hobby5 mentioned. It again somewhat depends upon the temperament of the individual fish.

Byron.

They will going in the 75 gallon. I was thinking 6, but then I remembered the discussion a while back where 5 was the recommended number.

Most reactions

Back