5.5 Gallon Build Thread

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nanocubeking

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have had A LOT of time on my hands,a big sheet of acrylic, and some confidence;). The idea for this tank is to make it as cheap as possible. And to do so i would use as much of my existing equipment as possible. I have already finished my sump/refuge. Here it is before trimming and slots put in place.
aquarium013.jpg

aquarium014.jpg

Then later today after trimming and slots in place.
aquarium017.jpg

And were I plan to place the tank.
aquarium019.jpg

For lighting I plan to rewire old stock nanocube lighting to fit over a 16x8x10 tank.(even tho the pc's length is 17inches)
I still have yet to actually get the tank.
I'm also not sure of a stock list yet. Definetly some corals. Throw something out there. Maybe ill bite.

-MIles

What would be a good light that I could do hards and all else with? I was thinking of some sort of pc or t-5. Anyone please comment back.

Mainly lps. But i would like a few small sps.

I have been thinking of dwarf seahorses for the tank. So some small branching sps would be nice.

Well, that's not the best of ideas if you ask me. Since Seahorses like low flow (less than 10x turnover) and SPS like high flow (30x turnover or more) they're not the best to mix ;)

Over my break I got the 5.5g.
aquarium020.jpg

I built my own weir/overflow basket. Now all I need is to do is finish plumbing and buy all the other crap. Here is at the end of today... After a long and tough day.
aquarium021.jpg

aquarium023-1.jpg

In a tank that shallow, the lighting would be sufficient. Do remember though that clams GUZZLE calcium/alkalinity/magnesium and keeping the chemistry stable in a tank that small would be challenging to say the least

Yeah. I dont think Im gonna aim for much other than some lps and softer. What are some gorgonias that I could put in for the seahorses?

Photosynthetic gorgonians, sure, but most gorgs are non-photosynthetic and if you can figure out how to maintain water quality AND feed the gorg in a tank that small, you'll win some kind of plaque

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back