5.5 community tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ash Paws

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am planning to do a community tank. I have 2 5.5 gallon aquariums, one has my crowntail betta Pence, and my ADF Neptune. I think I might want to separate the two because Neptune gets really nippy sometimes and Pence is constantly stealing food from him. I think Pence would do a bit better on his own.

Back to the community tank idea, I was planning to move Neptune into it and get another dwarf frog. And maybe some schooling fish like Neon Tetras or livebearers like guppies or platys. Maybe evn tiger barbs. I'm not sure if the frogs would eat the small fish though or if the guppies would get nippy. I also want to think about getting an algae eater, like a loach or cory catfish.
Can one of you please let me know which schooling fish can live peacefully with two African dwarfs without overstocking the tank?

thanks,
Ash Paws

There are no shoaling fish that would be OK in a 5.5 gallon tank.
Of the fish you mention, neon tetras need 16 gallons; guppies need at least 11 gallons; platies need at least 15 gallons and tiger barbs need at least 20 gallons, with 30+ being much better. Tiger barbs would also terrorise the frogs.

Really, frogs are better off with no fish in the tank. Having kept frogs with a betta I know that it a nightmare trying to stop the fish eating all the food. Once I gave the frogs their own tank it was much better.
In 5.5 gallons, you could probably fit 2 more frogs but it is a bad idea to put another two straight in. You would need to quarantine the new ones first for a few weeks. Maybe leave the current frog with the betta, set up the new tank and when it is cycled, get 2 frogs. Once you know they do not have any illness, then move the one you already have in with them.

Most reactions

trending

Back