40 Gallon Breeder

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I will definitely make sure I have plenty of hiding spaces. What would be a good solid number of cherries to start with? Thank you for the advice about checking the bucket. I'm not sure I would have that about that.

I started out with half a dozen shrimps in my old 54 litre tank. When I closed that down I moved 96 shrimps to my main tank, and I hate to think of how many babies I failed to catch. If you get them from a 'real' shop instead of on-line, see if you can manage to buy a few females shrimps which are carrying eggs. That way you'll have a lot more shrimps in a few weeks.

It is also advisable to get new shrimps once or twice a year from a different shop, and hopefully a different breeder, to stop too much in breeding. I usually buy just one berried female (ie carrying eggs).

I should mention for when checking the old water bucket that baby shrimps are very small and a creamy colour. They are very hard to see. I scoop water out of the bucket with a plastic jug so I can see them better, then remove them from the jug with a pipette. Even adult shrimps are hard to see in a black bucket :)

I should have mentioned that when you check the old water bucket, baby shrimps are very tiny and hard to see. It's not easy seeing even adults shrimps in my black bucket. I use a plastic jug to scoop the water from the bucket which makes babies easier to see, though this does make water changes longer than usual. I use a pipette to remove babies, though adults have to be poured out of the jug.

Heres what I'm currently thinking:

8 otos
8 false juli cory
13 habrosus
25 kubotai
25 embers
2 mysterly snails
15 cherry shrimp

Any thoughts or suggestions? I know the false juli corys are going against the nano fish theme, but theyve always been some of my favorite fish to keep.

If you like otos, eight is fine, though I would add these last and maybe a few less (?) but that is up to you. Otos almost always arrive in stores nearly starved, and they need a tank with algae in most cases or they will die quickly. Store tanks rarely provide algae for the otos to eat, and they may or may not immediately take to prepared foods like algae-based tablets. Once they do, the lack of much algae is not a problem. Dried leaves such as oak and beech are ideal for tanks with otos.

Generally it is OK to combine different species of Corydoras, but when it comes to the three "dwarf" species, not so good. I would have C. habrosus or C. trilineatus and a few more of whichever is also OK. Not an issue of incompatibility, just one of the dwarf species being very sensitive and somewhat better off on their own.

BTW, there is technically no "false julii" though I know what you mean. For some reason, the cory labelled C. julii is very often not this species but another, and C. trilineatus is the usual one. I know over on the cory site Ian Fuller objects to the use of "false juli" and I accept that.

There are some other cory confusions in the trade, one of the more common being the cories labelled as C. adolfoi when in fact they are C. duplicareus. Both species do appear as imports but the latter is more common because it is frankly a more attractive fish and more popular as a result. The black dorso-lateral stripe is much wider, and the orange post-orbital fleck is much brighter orange.

5 otos
13 trili cory
30 kubotai
30 embers
2 mysterly snails
20 cherry shrimp

I am planning on setting up a low light 40gal breeder tank and I was wondering how this stocking is:

2 cockatoo apistos
3 platy
3 male guppy
6 otos
1 Bristlenose pleco
8 false juli corys
6 amano shrimp
1 nerite snail
1 pearl gourami
20 chili rasbora
1 mts

That sounds over stocked to me for a 40 gallon tank...
I usually check the website below to get guidelines on aquarium stocking:
http://www.aqadvisor.com/

That sounds over stocked to me for a 40 gallon tank...
I usually check the website below to get guidelines on aquarium stocking:
http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I use aqadvisor as well. It was 101% stocked. However, I have recently changed my stocking idea to

5 otos
13 trili cory
30 kubotai
30 embers
2 mysterly snails
20 cherry shrimp

I am still playing around with stocking ideas as I am waiting to set up my aquarium. How does this stocking plan look? Any obvious problems?

1 Pearl Gourami
11 Trili Cories
25 Cherry Shrimp
1 Mystery Snail
10 Zebra Danio
25 Ember Tetra
15 Kubotai Rasbora
5 Otos

I am still playing around with stocking ideas as I am waiting to set up my aquarium. How does this stocking plan look? Any obvious problems?

1 Pearl Gourami
11 Trili Cories
25 Cherry Shrimp
1 Mystery Snail
10 Zebra Danio
25 Ember Tetra
15 Kubotai Rasbora
5 Otos

The Zebra Danio will not work here. This species, like all true danio, is an active swimmer, and that is something you never want in with sedate fish like gourami. And here even the Embers and Rasboras would be annoyed with all this activity around them.

So, say I decided to start from scratch with just zebra danios and corys. What would be suitable tankmates for them? Preferably ones that are commonly available.

So, say I decided to start from scratch with just zebra danios and corys. What would be suitable tankmates for them? Preferably ones that are commonly available.

You could look into other danio species, or barb species. Generally, barbs and danios are active fish. Rasbora are not, so they would not work well. There is not only the activity level (which to sedate fish really is a major issue) but active fish frequently will fin nip sedate fish.

The Black Ruby Barb is worth considering. Most barbs and danio (with a couple exceptions) need a minimum 3-foot tank like this 40g breeder.

Also, what about white skirt tetras instead of zebra danios?

If you mean in with the original combination (post #41), no, as this species should not be in with sedate fish or fish with long fins, as this species will fin nip such fish. The Black Skirt and White Skirt is the same species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (the White was selectively bred from the natural Black) so the behaviours and feistiness is the same.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back