40 Gallon Breeder!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bebobb

You can't get like me
Reaction score
I have found a 40 gallon breeder on my local aquarium forum for $40 with hood, but no light. I could care less about the light right now! I could purchase a light bulb later. Considering that it will take about 3 or more months untill it is FULLY setup. This is my first "large" tank. Although many would consider this small, the dimensions are 36"x18"x17". But now, I am looking into stocking suggestions! Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that I want to take down my 10 gallon, so the tetras will be moved over, or I could get rid of them if needed. Thanks a bunch! I am soooo excited!

I love the 40B. I have 3 of them personally. One of my favorite tanks. Great choice.
As far as sticking, you can treat it like a 55g because of the wider footprint. Both of the ones I have set up are stocked with the same fish, so I can't be of much help. Lol. And if I set up the third one, it will be the same situation.

Wow this is going to be a joy to have. Does anyone have any stocking suggestions?

I have a 30 gallon breeder that I was going to use but decided agaisnt it because it was so low, ended up using my 29 gallon, but I wish I had a 40B.
Maybe try Angels?

I thought about angels, but I was thinking something more along the lines of a keyhole as a centerpiece fish. Or a gourami. I am completely lost when it comes to stocking this tank... I have never stocked or dealt with something as big as this! (no not in that way!!!)

lol.

i wouldnt waste a 40b on a keyhole or gourami. id suggest going with either a mid sized SA/CA, or a nice shoal of something. maybe some of the larger tetras. (congos, emperors, buenos aries etc)

I think that I am leaning towards the community option rather than a large cichlid with a school of larger tetras... I would like to have a dwarf-medium cichlid in this tank. I think I might have second thoughts on angel fish... But I would love to have a Kribensis, and I don't know about angels and kribs going together. I know that kribs are more of the agressive type out of the dwarf cichlids, so that is what worries me with the angels.

I am thinking about blood-fin tetras in the tank... I am still completly lost/baffled at what to stock the tank with. So far, here are a few of my own thoughts. They probally will have some problems, but lets see what people have to say about them

Stocking 1:
1 Kribensis
8 larger tetras
6 Corys (not sure what type)
1 keyhole (possibly??)

Stocking 2:
1 pair of apistogramma
8 neon tetras
6 larger tetras

I have no idea on the ammount of fish that this tank can hold, so I ask that some people suggest stocking for me.

I think that I am leaning towards the community option rather than a large cichlid with a school of larger tetras... I would like to have a dwarf-medium cichlid in this tank. I think I might have second thoughts on angel fish... But I would love to have a Kribensis, and I don't know about angels and kribs going together. I know that kribs are more of the agressive type out of the dwarf cichlids, so that is what worries me with the angels.

I am thinking about blood-fin tetras in the tank... I am still completly lost/baffled at what to stock the tank with. So far, here are a few of my own thoughts. They probally will have some problems, but lets see what people have to say about them

Stocking 1:
1 Kribensis
8 larger tetras
1 keyhole (possibly??)

Stocking 2:
1 pair of apistogramma
8 neon tetras
6 larger tetras

I have no idea on the ammount of fish that this tank can hold, so I ask that some people suggest stocking for me.

Ropefish if you can get any. They are definitely different, and amusing to watch when they get active. We currently have 2 in our 40 breeder with 2 angels(that are awaiting their permanent home), and a catfish. They were in with my black neons, cory cats, and plec with no issues. As for what you have on your list you could put in 2-3 kinds of tetra/shoaling fish and corys no problem. I'm not too familiar with the other fish you have on the list.
Have you considered some danios or other more active fish? I love tetras but find that they don't always do much.... You could also try some rainbows. I know most get pretty big but there are some smaller varieties you could go with.

if you want active, do what I do and use your 40B for a shoal of Exodons.
W00T.

I think that I will take a look into some danios... What are some "semi" active community fish that would work?

look at tiger barbs, they are very cool looking fish, get a good size for a smaller fish and shoal very well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back