30lt Bio orb advice please for tropical fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nabs

Reaction score
I am new to this, my daughter has chosen a 30lt bio orb and wants to put some tropical fish in there,

I have many questions:

1. Which is the best heater system for bio orb, which is easy to control?

2. Are there any inexpensive smart monitoring systems where one can monitor things with a smart app?

3. Ideas for fish (ideally colourful)?
Thinking of some neon tetras, one siamese fighting fish. Any other suggestions? Possibly something to help with the cleaning of the tank?

Appreciate any suggestions and tips

Is there any chance you can get a bigger bio-orb or just a normal aquarium? The more water you have for the fish, the more variety of fish you can keep and generally the easier it is to keep them.

If price is a factor, look at a normal rectangular aquarium instead of an all in one package. Basic rectangular tanks don't look as fancy but are a lot cheaper and better value for money. They are also much easier to work out water volumes if you ever need to treat the fish. And if you crack a side on a normal rectangular tank, you can replace the broken pane of glass. If the bio-orb cracks you throw it away and buy a new one.

Basic rectangular tanks don't look as fancy but are a lot cheaper and better value for money.

You can get something like this for $20
wlTM0Ze.jpg

Possibly something to help with the cleaning of the tank?

The thing that cleans the tank is you. Any creature you add to clean that tank may clean up one aspect of waste but will make more of its own. As fish keepers we need to change half the tank water every week, and at the same time use a siphon tube to suck any fish poo and uneaten food etc out of the rocks on the bottom of a biorb.

Biorb heaters are available for all sized tanks.

Rather than an app to monitor the tank you need a test kit. Yes there are things like Seneye, but only as an extra not to replace a test kit. And you need a test kit to cycle the tank. Please read NickAu's link, it is very important.

I should add that if you are in the UK NickAu's suggestion of a mystery snail won't work. Apple snails of all species are banned from import into the EU. Get a nerite snail instead :)

You may have picked up a vibe on the thread. Biorbs are pretty tanks, but not hugely practical, or all that easy to look after compared to more traditional tanks. If you've not bought it yet then we'd counsel you to think again. If you have, then, kept to low stocking levels, and planted well, they can look spectacular. A betta is a good suggestion, they're good pets, with personality, as well as being pretty.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I have the bio-orb for now therefore will keep to low stocking levels and will read the link.

Probably a betta and a snail.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back