30gal Angelfish stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

uliabear

Reaction score
Hi!! i have had fish my whole life from goldfish to tropical fish, we hadnā€™t gotten fish in awhile then started our aquarium up again 3 years ago! i instantly fell in love once i was actually able to understand how beautiful the fish interact! Right now i have a 20gal with 4 tiger barbs(soon to be more) and a rainbow shark and i am proud to say I am getting my very own 30 gal in my room! i have always been very fond of angelfish and thatā€™s the main reason i am getting such a large tank(so they have more room) but i havenā€™t quite figured out how many or what fish to put with them in the tank, i am looking at a 30 gal silicone 36x12x16 tank, can anyone help?

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Angelfish are not your best option here. Angelfish are a shoaling species, meaning they live in groups and should have this in the aquarium to be healthy. Five is minimum. However, at six inches body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches, they are not small fish and need considerably more room. Some people will only have one angelfish, and while this "works," it is not normal for the fish and therefore something I do not recommend. I should also point out that if you did go for a larger tank, 4-feet length minimum, for a group of angelfish, you would at some point likely have another issue, pairing and spawning. If the tank was not very large, this would mean moving the spawning pair, or the other angelfish, either, to another tank, also large. It can get involved.

I don't know if your plan was to include the existing fish, the Tiger Barbs and Rainbow Shark, but this would not have worked; this species of barb is notorious for being fin nippers and such fish must never be combined with sedate fish or those with flowing fins.

While on the barbs, they need more in the group (I realize you are intending more), and it would be nice to give them the 30 gallon tank and increase the group to 9-12. This would be exactly what they require, though no other upper level fish. The Rainbow Shark could stay with them.

No mention has been made of water parameters for the source (tap) water, so I am assuming they are suited to the barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Back