30 Gallon Stocking Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corydoratheexplorer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a new 30 gallon tank. I plan on planting it, and will probably add some driftwood as a centerpiece. The substrate will be black sand. The finer is an Aqueon whisper or something like that and is rated for 250 GPH. I've only had ten gallon tanks before, so i was wondering if my stocking list was under or overstocked. It's a work in progress, so feel free to give suggestions/advice !

the list is as follows

2  honey gouramis

8 neon tetras

8 small rasboras or tetras or other small fish(depending on what my LFS has in stock)

6 panda corydoras

Thanks!

Sounds awesome! Cant wait to see it.

Ive used this link for some stocking direction:

REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Are you planning on adding any plants?

dhartIndy said:
Sounds awesome! Cant wait to see it.

Ive used this link for some stocking direction:

REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Are you planning on adding any plants?

It would be best if the OP doesn't use this program, the reason is that the program is very unreliable
confused.gif

The stocking looks good, the only thing I would change is possibly the Honey Gouramis, since they're your centrepiece fish, it would look a lot more visually appealing.
It would also look more visually appealing IMO if you only had one school of Tetras/Rasboras, that way you could have a bigger school, you would also be able to increase the number of your Panda Corys
smile.png

corydoratheexplorer said:
I have a new 30 gallon tank. I plan on planting it, and will probably add some driftwood as a centerpiece. The substrate will be black sand. The finer is an Aqueon whisper or something like that and is rated for 250 GPH. I've only had ten gallon tanks before, so i was wondering if my stocking list was under or overstocked. It's a work in progress, so feel free to give suggestions/advice !

the list is as follows

2  honey gouramis

8 neon tetras

8 small rasboras or tetras or other small fish(depending on what my LFS has in stock)

6 panda corydoras

Thanks!

That's a really good stocking plan, IMHO. You just need to take care when selecting the "small rasbora or tetra or other" I would say that if you were going to have 8 of them, then something around 4cm would work, eg a Harlequin Rasbora. If you went for something much smaller, like a Celestial Pearl Danio, then you could have 10 or 11 of them, that would make a really nice shoal.

Ok, I'm new to this forum, so i don't know how to post replys to quotes from previous posts, so ill just directly quote.

"the only thing I would change is possibly the Honey Gouramis, since they're your centrepiece fish, it would look a lot more visually appealing.
It would also look more visually appealing IMO if you only had one school of Tetras/Rasboras," - Blondielovesfish

Thanks for the advice, but I don't really mind giving the tetras/rasboras some of the limelight. Maybe in the future i will try a tank with a very prominent centerpiece fish. For now though, I'm more interested in the dynamics of the community tank, and I like the ideas of two types of small fish.

"Are you planning on adding any plants?"-dhartIndy

Yes, I am! Does anyone have any ideas for good foreground plants?

"something around 4cm would work, eg a Harlequin Rasbora. If you went for something much smaller, like a Celestial Pearl Danio, then you could have 10 or 11 of them"-the_lock_man

Thanks! anymore suggestions for the undecided species? I'm trying to compile a list of possibilities.

Ok, so I've doing more research and checking what my lfs have in stock and here is the new plan.

2  pearl gouramis

8 glowlight tetras

8 harlequin rasboras

6 panda corydoras

will the pearl gouramis get too big? I know that the neons would have looked better than the glowlights, but they seem to have so many health issues.

corydoratheexplorer said:
Ok, so I've doing more research and checking what my lfs have in stock and here is the new plan.

2  pearl gouramis

8 glowlight tetras

8 harlequin rasboras

6 panda corydoras

will the pearl gouramis get too big? I know that the neons would have looked better than the glowlights, but they seem to have so many health issues.

Personally, I would only have one Pearl Gourami, and only have one, bigger school of tetras/rasboras. You can then have a bigger school of the desired tetras/rasboras and the corys :)

Blondielovesfish said:

2  pearl gouramis

8 glowlight tetras

8 harlequin rasboras

6 panda corydoras

Personally, I would only have one Pearl Gourami, and only have one, bigger school of tetras/rasboras. You can then have a bigger school of the desired tetras/rasboras and the corys
smile.png

In my experience, pearl gourami don't do well in singles. You would be better off getting two females or a male and two females. 

TallTree01 said:

2  pearl gouramis

8 glowlight tetras

8 harlequin rasboras

6 panda corydoras

Personally, I would only have one Pearl Gourami, and only have one, bigger school of tetras/rasboras. You can then have a bigger school of the desired tetras/rasboras and the corys
smile.png

In my experience, pearl gourami don't do well in singles. You would be better off getting two females or a male and two females. 

Okay, its probably better to have them in pairs/trios.
Trust TT, he's had experience with them, whereas I haven't :)

The honey gouramis are beautiful and very interesting fish, but they do not like current at all! Furthermore they like heavily planted tanks. Personally I would go for only one schooling fish (about 12) and 8 pandas.

What are your water parameters? Neons and corydoras like soft water.

Edit: Pearl gouramis are too big for your tank.

So, would it be ok to have two pearl gouramis, around 13 harlequin rasboras, and around 8 corys?

I'm getting conflicting information about pearl gouramis. Most places say that I'll be fine with two or even three in a 30 gal, but some sources tell me that my tank is too small. Any advice?

I have no experience with pearls, so I cannot comment on if they are suitable, but if they are, then that looks a good stocking list :)

Ok, so after more tedious(but informative 
smile.png
 ) research, I've decided that I don't want to risk getting pearl gouramis and them growing too big, so Ill stick with some dwarf gouramis. does 3 sound good? 

Pearl gouramis rarely exceed 4" so a 30g would be fine IMO.

Most reactions

Back