3 Dotted Gourami male or female?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is this a male or female 3 dotted blue gourami?

• Male

• Female

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkyesTank21

Reaction score
Please help end a long mystery for us. Is this a male or female gourami?

A photo of the fish might help.

SmartSelect_20181011-184346_Gallery.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How big is the fish?

Male gouramis have longer pointed dorsal and anal fins. Females have short rounded fins. Your fish has short pointy fins that could be a young male or a funny female.

If the fish is a year old and it's fins have been like that all along it is female. If it's less than 6 months old it will still be growing and you will need to wait a few months to be certain.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How big is the fish?

Male gouramis have longer pointed dorsal and anal fins. Females have short rounded fins. Your fish has short pointy fins that could be a young male or a funny female.

If the fish is a year old and it's fins have been like that all along it is female. If it's less than 6 months old it will still be growing and you will need to wait a few months to be certain.

It's about 2 inches right now including the anal fin. Not sure how old but I was told by Petco employee that it was a male. I started doubting when I noticed the dorsal fin just a tad bit rounded and how it doesn't even reach the base of tail fin.

If it's only 2 inches it's still a juvenile and probably less than 6 months, in fact if it was grown in Asia it is probably about 3-4 months old.

The anal (bottom) fin definitely looks male so it is probably a young male that will develop a long dorsal fin later as it matures. :)

If it's only 2 inches it's still a juvenile and probably less than 6 months, in fact if it was grown in Asia it is probably about 3-4 months old.

The anal (bottom) fin definitely looks male so it is probably a young male that will develop a long dorsal fin later as it matures. :)

Oh wow thank you! I only ever really look at the Dorsal (top) fin in my attempt at identifying Gouramis? What do you look for in the Anal Fin?

Male blue gouramis have a longer pointed anal fin, females have a shorter rounded anal fin. It's a lot easier to tell when you have a tank of them to compare each other to. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back