29 gallon stocking ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Honestly Iā€™ll probably ditch the Badis in general but I figured if I stumbled across one I just HAD to have that I would want to be able to take care of it properly

:good: :drinks:

Sorry to bring this discussion back up but would it be alright to maybe replace the cherry barbs with some guppies? I dunno about fin nipping or their compatibility but I just figured Iā€™d ask.

Sorry to bring this discussion back up but would it be alright to maybe replace the cherry barbs with some guppies? I dunno about fin nipping or their compatibility but I just figured Iā€™d ask.

Guppies are really best with higher pH and some hardness in the water.

The guppies of yesterday had a much wider tolerance, but selective breeding to get more specific color strains has made them much more delicate.

Your water was said to be fairly soft, so that leaves out any livebearers that must have moderately hard or harder water.

Edit, eagles posted as I was typing, same answer.

Your water was said to be fairly soft, so that leaves out any livebearers that must have moderately hard or harder water.

Edit, eagles posted as I was typing, same answer.
We do that sometimes... lol

Doesnā€™t driftwood naturally increase the hardness? Iā€™m planning on adding some anyway and so I donā€™t want the water to be too hard and suddenly Iā€™m able to have guppies and nothing else hahaha. Would it be possible to make it in the mid range and fit the other species using driftwood. Also I have good need! I may be upgrading to a 36 with a slightly curved front glass pane. Itā€™s decently tall but looks like thereā€™s still a good amount of floor space. Would this be okay? Or would I have to go hunting for a longer version and stick with a 29 because of the footprint. Just wondering

Doesnā€™t driftwood naturally increase the hardness?
Wood does not increase hardness, if it does anything it will lower it. You need a source of calcium carbonate to increase hardness eg coral or limestone; or an additive such as Rift Lake salts.

You need to keep either only soft water fish in your tap water, or alter the hardness using coral/limestone or Rift Lake salts and keep only hard water fish. There is no 'middle ground' where both types would be happy.

Ah alright. Yeah I wasnā€™t sure where I read that but I wanted to make sure.

Still happy about the bigger aquarium though! Itā€™s at such a good price and I wasnā€™t expecting to get anything bigger than a 29g at all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back