29 gallon stocking ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Annemarie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been planning a 29 gallon for a while now and this is what I came up with for stocking ideas.

1 : Pearl Gourami (or one honey)
6 : neon tetra
5 : cherry barb (2 male 3 female)
4 : Kuhli Loach (I want less but theyā€™re social so 4 is my plan)
1-3 : ram cichlids (1 male 2 female maximum. Probably more like one male one female)

I really wanted a Pearl Gourami but due to its adult size I wasnā€™t sure. Iā€™d also love more neon tetras but didnā€™t want to overstock. The Kuhli Loaches have a low bioload and they should be fine.

My water is pretty soft, the ph is 7, temp with a heater would stay at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan on using an AquaClear 50 and using quite a few plants. There will also be a few fish taken off the list because of asthetics but nothing too crazy.

Those are just my general ideas but Iā€™m totally open to any suggestions, stocking is definitely the hardest part for me.

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
Putting together a community aquarium takes quite a lot of research and thought. Fish mass to water volume is as far as many get, but there are other more important considerations.

One is temperature. The common or blue rams need warmth, with 80F (27C) minimum. This will harm neon tetra that need cooler water, around 70-77F (21-25C) range. The cherry barb is somewhere in between, range 74-81F (23-27C). Pearl Gourami range 75-86F (24-30C). Honey Gourami range 72-82F (22-27C). Kuhlii range 73-84F (23-29C). Some of these will obviously be OK together as the ranges overlap, but not the rams.

Temperature ranges are intended as guides with the mid-range usually preferable long-term; the lower and higher ends are manageable for temporary periods but often not as a permanent temperature. Temperature is crucial because this drives the fish's metabolism, and the physiology has evolved to function best within fairly strict parameters (GH, pH, and environment as well as temperature factor in to this). Fish are ectothermic so they depend upon the temperature of the water they live in to maintain their internal processes and life.

The Pearl is a lovely fish, but one that usually looks better in a small group of one male and two females, or two/three ratio. But a 29g is not providing sufficient space for this, so a trio of Honey Gourami might be better.

Byron did a good job on the chemistry, so I don't feel the need to comment on that part.

Having had experience with multiple Pearl Gourami I must agree with Byron, they do better in groups. If by themselves I have found they become tyrants of the tank (even when keeping a single female I have had this problem). If they are in a trio the aggression is spread out more evenly between the Gourami, as opposed to a single Gourami bullying weaker fish - especially speedy, flashy neon tetra's.
Perhaps consider Honey Gourami instead? (I've never had Honey's so I'm in no position to recommend them, but it's my understanding they are smaller and more peaceful.)

Neon Tetra's look amazing and are much happier in larger groups - just saying. They look good when they have some open space to school together in. This sort of contrasts with the Cherry Barb's, which tend to prefer a planted tank with lots of hiding spots. I'm not saying you can't have both - there are ways of setting up a tank (plants on both ends with a gap in the middle) that could work for both species.

Rams are some of my favourite fish - but I do not have the water chemistry to keep them unfortunately. They do well with Neon and Cardinal Tetra's. One thing about Ram's is they do not do well in new tanks - so if you are set on Ram's I don't see a problem - just don't get them until the tank is properly cycled.

I hate to say it but Iā€™ve read on so many sources that rams can handle 77-78 just fine. Iā€™m thinking of getting them last so I have more time to research though. I love the colors of the pearl but itā€™s the health of the fish that matters. One in a 29 is pushing it, 3 is too much. Iā€™m definitely looking into the honeys. Also you perfectly described my ideas. I was planning on a large open space and planted areas around or on one side of the tank to suit the fish. Sucks that Pearls arenā€™t smaller though. Thanks so far both of you!

I hate to say it but Iā€™ve read on so many sources that rams can handle 77-78 just fine. Iā€™m thinking of getting them last so I have more time to research though. I love the colors of the pearl but itā€™s the health of the fish that matters. One in a 29 is pushing it, 3 is too much. Iā€™m definitely looking into the honeys. Also you perfectly described my ideas. I was planning on a large open space and planted areas around or on one side of the tank to suit the fish. Sucks that Pearls arenā€™t smaller though. Thanks so far both of you!

Not every source is reliable; Seriously Fish is. This is a delicate fish, and will not be in good health at temperatures below what I posted, and it will not live its normal expected lifespan as a result. Scientific studies have shown it will not live its 4-5 year lifespan at cooler temperatures. We cannot change nature.

I get what youā€™re trying to say. I really do. Iā€™m not disagreeing just because thatā€™s how badly I want to get it. Seriously fish listed one variety of ram as good between 20-28 degrees Celsius and the other between 26-30. 26 converts to 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Iā€™m sorry to disagree but Iā€™m still not sure where youā€™re getting 80 minimum from

I get what youā€™re trying to say. I really do. Iā€™m not disagreeing just because thatā€™s how badly I want to get it. Seriously fish listed one variety of ram as good between 20-28 degrees Celsius and the other between 26-30. 26 converts to 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Iā€™m sorry to disagree but Iā€™m still not sure where youā€™re getting 80 minimum from

First, there are two natural species of ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi and Mikrogeophagus altispinosus. The first is the common or blue ram, and the second is the Bolivian Ram. All of the varieties developed by selective breeding, such as German Blue, gold, etc, are derived from M. ramirezi. No varieties have been developed from the second species, at least so far as I am aware to date, so it is the Bolivian Ram solely.

The temperature for M. ramirezi and any of the varieties must be 26C/80F or higher. [BTW, 26C is 79F.] This fish will have a more difficult life at lower temperatures, and usually will not live to its normal lifespan because of this extra strain on its physiology. Now, I cannot guarantee this if it is kept at 78 or 79 rather than 80, but there is definite scientific evidence that it will be healthier in warmer water so there is no reason not to provide this. The Bolivian is different, and though it cannot manage in too cool a temperature, it does do well at 76-77F (24-25C). My male lived into his ninth year at this temperature, which is pretty good for a fish with a normal lifespan of 4 or maybe 5 years.

I would certainly take a look at any contrary data you can find links for; anyone can set up a website these days and promote themselves as "experts" so one must know who is and who is not an authority. I have spent considerable time on research of fish species and habitats over the past decade-plus; I never tire of research, and none of us ever stops learning. :fish:

Hi Annemarie,

I think you can replace Neon Tetras with Cardinal Tetras that can take higher temperature and are more beautiful.

I agree with Bryon that Honey Gourami (dwarf Gourami) is better than Pearl Gourami.
Pearl Gourami can grow to quite big.
Otherwise, you can consider Balloon Pearl Gourami which are smaller.

I like Blue Ram, Electric Blue Ram, Golden Ram. Among these three, I think Electric Blue Ram colours is the most striking when they are in the dark.
I attached a photo of my Balloon Blue Rams and Electric Blue Ram.

All the best!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-16-10-01-10-88.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-16-10-01-10-88.png
    857.5 KB · Views: 368
Hi Annemarie,

I find that Neon or Cardinal Tetras are not so hardy.
And I find that Rosy Tetras, Harlequin Rasbora and Rummy Nose Tetras are more hardy. You might want to consider one of these instead of Cardinal or Neon Tetras. Rosy Tetras are very beautiful with their white tip fins.
Harlequin Rasbora and Rummy Nose Tetras are very tight schooling fish. They swim very closely together like an army or the Roman soldiers that moved closely together.

Also, I find that Threadfin Rainbow is a very unique and beautiful fish. They have beautiful fins and can tolerate high temperature. You might want to consider this instead of Cherry Barbs.

All the best.

I have a few more suggestions.
Glowlight Tetras and Pristella Tetras are also more hardy than Neon or Cardinal Tetras.
They are also very beautiful.
The Balloon Pristella Tetras are smaller and cuter than the normal Pristella Tetra.

I would not buy any balloon fish. They have been selectively bred to get their deformed body shape, but the balloon shape causes problems with their internal organs. If everyone stopped buying balloon fish of every species there would be no demand for them, and the breeding of these deformed fish would cease. Which would be a good thing.

Essjay is spot on. The "balloon" deformation of fish is cruel and inhumane, because of the effects on the fish. Whether or not the fish feel pain as a result is debatable, but the adverse result of this "balloon" breeding does harm the fish and cause further problems and a shorter life, so there is absolutely no question that it is inhumane even aside from the pain issue. Please do not buy balloon fish, and tell your store why.

I honestly hate the look of them (balloon fish) so no problems there. So just to clarify, the rams might pose problems with the temp, but the other fish are fine? (Honey gourami, neon tetra, barb, etc...)

I honestly hate the look of them (balloon fish) so no problems there. So just to clarify, the rams might pose problems with the temp, but the other fish are fine? (Honey gourami, neon tetra, barb, etc...)

Generally, yes, but there are a couple things to keep in mind.

Gourami are sedate fish that cruise among floating plants as opposed to swimming actively. Neon tetras are also cruisers, so that is good.

Barbs are relatively active fish depending upon species and should never be combined with sedate gourami, but the cherries are an exception. However, they do need a larger group to look their best.
In keeping with their natural habitat, a well-planted aquarium with a dark substrate and floating plants to provide more shade will bring out the fish's deep colouration. Males will also be more colourful when kept in larger groups as they continually display to the females. When the fish are kept under these conditions their true beauty will be appreciated. Sexes are easily distinguished. Males are deep cherry red and more slender whereas females are dull reddish-brown and have rather plumper bodies.

I would increase the group of both neons and cherries to 8-9 each minimum.

I was actually going to start with about 5 of each and once I see what changes need to be made (moving plants to make more open space, etc...) then I would add more. Would that work?

Iā€™ll take a while to think about getting the rams more, but thank you for the input. Iā€™ll let you know what I decide on later. Iā€™m currently looking at even more sources about rams to see what works best for them. Also I donā€™t know if itā€™s just me being insane but I read somewhere that unless the ram is from Europe it was injected and wonā€™t live as long. I donā€™t think itā€™s true but Iā€™d rather buy a European imported fish than a dyed and short lived one.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back