29 gallon aquarium stock

Reaction score
Hello guys, I recently got an 29 gal aquarium. I was wondering if I could put one , green terror, jack Dempsey or a flower horn. Also if you have suggestions for a solo fish in a 29 gal aquarium pls tell me them. Thanks in advance.

I think a tank that size is too small for the cichlids listed. Maybe you could go for a freshwater community tank.

Agree. A Jack Dempsey or a Green Terror or a Flowerhorn each needs at minimum a 4-foot tank as these fish will attain 8-10 inches (JD) and 10-12 inches (GT) and 12+ inches (FH).

I won't suggest "solo fish" as Ihave no idea of water parameters, or what you might mean by the term. A single Bolivian Ram in a 29g is a solo fish, but given your three fish mentioned I assume you are thinking of much larger fish as "solo," but the small size of the 29g will rule such fish out.

OK. I would have done a community tank in this one but I've already got my 55 gallon filled with an angelfish setup. Since the fish I mentioned are to large, could an Oscar or something more colorful go in it?

A 29-gallon is too small for an oscar, I would recommend a 55-gallon or larger for them; you might could house some dwarf cichlids, such as colorful gold or electric blue German rams.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the general hardness (GH) and pH of the water?

You might look into purple spotted gudgeons or snakeheads. You could keep a couple of the smaller species in a small tank. These fish live in caves and don't swim much.

African butterfly fish are surface dwelling fish. Maybe a pr of gouramis and let them breed, or a group of killifish or pencil fish. Freshwater pipefish.

What about a salt water aquarium with some corals or seahorses?

The 29G’s are tricky to stock. I found it was too big for some species and way too small for others. I just put mine in the storage room and replaced it with a 45G. I would have preferred another 55G but the dimensions in space I had for it didn’t allow it.

I found it was too big for some species
Too big for some species? Which species?

There is no such thing as a tank that's too big for a fish, There is no reason that you couldn't put a single male Betta in a 10 foot 300 gallon tank all on his own.

I have two 29's among my 10 tanks, and I often recommend them but their use is limited. Smallish fish, and sedate (non-active) swimmers, are what suits the tank. Here are a few versions I've had.

Attachments

• 29g Aug 16-16.JPG
    29g Aug 16-16.JPG
    811.9 KB · Views: 431
  • 29g Feb 10-15.JPG
    29g Feb 10-15.JPG
    989.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 29g Mar 2-16.JPG
    29g Mar 2-16.JPG
    702 KB · Views: 525
Too big for some species? Which species?

There is no such thing as a tank that's too big for a fish, There is no reason that you couldn't put a single male Betta in a 10 foot 300 gallon tank all on his own.
I didn’t say fish. It was too big for my shrimp and was the only tank available at the time. That is just my opinion. I didn’t want to have to deal with them in a larger tank. My apologies, bad choice of words in original response.

Last edited:
Too big? It can fit in it......it should've been fine.
Oh, they could have fit without a doubt. Just didn’t want to mess with that large of a tank for shrimp. At least not yet. Too much valuable space.

Sorry guys for not responding for awhile, I'm on vacation and had no WiFi. The only reason I got the 29 is I have this rock background and I think its really cool. Any way, I'm not thinking another community freshwater and I'm not ready to dealve into salt water. I'm thinking 1 or 2 fire mouth cichlids BC I love there coloration. The tank is a standard aqueon 29 gal. Thanks again!:):):D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back