28 gallon Bowfront

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Michael Roth

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This was Sin's idea, and I thought I would implement it.

Day 1:

Just sand, fresh water, a fluval 4 powerhead, and an AC 300 to muck stuff up a bit.

Attachments

• bowfront_day_1.jpg
    bowfront_day_1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 56
This photo is relevant. I'm checking to make sure my playsand, which used to be sterile when it was not being used for fish, is reef safe. The loonie is for scale purposes. And Sin, I wish I had thought of it first :p

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 56
Ok. I have my answer, it is perfectly safe, but offers no buffer or calcium supplement, so live rock and decor will have to include some calcium based structuring.

This is detail from a fist-sized rock with polyps on it that was purchased for the 28

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 62
Michael, you are going to force me to set up a marine tank. I love the close up on the polyps! Can't wait to see more...

Shoulda asked me....I have 2 brand new bags of aragonite I am not using....

Can't wait to see more pics! :)

This guy is destined for the 28, and no...he's not the same one from the nano...this guy is way way bigger.

hermit.jpg

Added: 1 Remora protien skimmer.

I added it now for one reason only- to have it fully functioning by the time fish go in. There is no salt in the tank as of yet, and the remora needs break in time.

I chose the remora for two reasons, first, it's reputation, and second, it can be moved to a much larger tank.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 72
The place I got it retails them for 225.00 canadian. Including maxi-jet1200 submersible pump.

Day 5:

Water change of 75%, added salt to 1.024, added 10 pounds of live rock. Thats pretty much it now for a month, unless I see some nice bits of live rock.

*edit* I ought to add, I did not pick nice live rock, I picked large porous pieces to allow for better filtration. I only got 10 pounds because I would like to buy my corals already attached to rock, and be picky about it :> This way I can accomodate 20-30 pounds more in the least.

Attachments

• April_01.jpg
    April_01.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 77
April 5, Day 9:

added live rock with polyps, scarlet hermit crab.

Attachments

• apr05.jpg
    apr05.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 70

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back