240l noob tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bacon sandwich

Reaction score
Another noob post, but keen to be educated!

Been keeping 6 kitty tetras in a 24l tank (with a small filter and heater) for a month now, all going good and I'm learning quickly! All the fish seem happy, and school together most of the time.

Now I'm planning on the upgrade to buy a new tank now - 240l, which has its own external filter (Flow Rate: 1150LPH) fitted and 14.5W LED light

The new tank will be in a quiet location in the house (London, UK)

I'm keen to get some live plants - some South American plants (cabomba?) or shall I buy some scraped collections?

Also keen on driftwood. And a shipwreck obvs.

Been using gravel in the old tank, but since reading the forums, it seems like play sand for the base looks like the way forward.

Will transfer the kitty tetras to the new tank once settled - any recommendations for some friends - fishes for different water layers? Pretty much a blank canvas! Keen for a crab if that's an option?

Thanks in advance
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the "kitty tetras" or do you know their scientific name?

If you can find out how hard the water is (general hardness or GH) and what the pH is it will help us pick fish suited to the conditions. You can usually find the GH & pH on your water supply company's website or by calling them on the telephone. If you can't get it from them, take a glass full of tap water to your local pet shop and ask them to test the GH & pH for you. Write the results down in numbers and post them here. Ask the pet shop if the GH is in ppm or dGH.

14.5watt lights are not very bright and probably insufficient for live plants. If you can tell us the dimensions of the tank (length x width x height), we can suggest lighting wattages

Crabs should not be kept with fish.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture of the "kitty tetras" or do you know their scientific name?
> Kitty tetra Scientific name: Hyphessobrycon heliacus
> http://www.tropicalfishbypost.co.uk/kitty-tetra.html
> Pic - https://photos.app.goo.gl/DmmbggtnddRykVGD8

If you can find out how hard the water is (general hardness or GH) and what the pH is it will help us pick fish suited to the conditions. You can usually find the GH & pH on your water supply company's website or by calling them on the telephone. If you can't get it from them, take a glass full of tap water to your local pet shop and ask them to test the GH & pH for you. Write the results down in numbers and post them here. Ask the pet shop if the GH is in ppm or dGH.
>PH was 6.5 - GH, I will get this info

14.5watt lights are not very bright and probably insufficient for live plants. If you can tell us the dimensions of the tank (length x width x height), we can suggest lighting wattages
>The tank will be 100cm x 40 cm x 40 cm

Crabs should not be kept with fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back