20gal Stocking Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm (at long last) getting ready to move and swap tanks around, I need some advice on stocking my 20 (US) gallon. I'm hoping to make it heavily planted with a single betta. The dimensions, L/W/H, are 24/12/15 in.
Should I put a bottom dweller in this tank? I was looking into kuhli loaches or pygmy cories, but I don't want to put them in a tank that's only the minimum that they can be in. Plus, would they have issues with the betta? Would it be too hard to give food down to them without bloating the betta?
Secondly, would ghost shrimp be able to live in my rainwater? I've heard mixed opinions on what ghosts need as far as pH and hardness. The rainwater I use is 6.6 pH, and 33 ppm hardness.
The water from my tap is 8.0, and somewhere around 120-140 ppm hardness.
I could mix them, and try to make a neutral combination, but I'd rather not so that it's easier to fill the tank quickly.

Pygmy corries or kuhli loaches would be fine. IMO the minimum for loaches is a 10gal (I have some in a 10 gal :p ) I feed the loaches before I turn of the lights, so the bettas can't see the sinking pellets. I'll also feed during the day by distracting the girls at the front then put the sinking food right into the filter output so it shoot straight to the bottom.

Usually my bettas don't bother to look around the bottom of the tank for food, there's quite a bit of cover for them to have to swim through.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back