20Gal Pleco/algae Eater

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So ive noticed that my 20Gal tank is missing something to help make it more lively. So i figured why not a Pleco. Question is. What pleco is perfect for a 20G then to be moved in  40g tank  ( my 40 is going to be a catfish tank ( + Amano Shrimp ) ). So looking at the Common pleco species that dont get more than 6" i see, Rhino Pleco, Gold pleco, RubberLip pleco, and a Royal Pleco. are there any other plecos you yould suggest, or rather other catfish species that go with Corydoras and Amanos?

Bushy nose pleco gets about 4 inch long

Bushy Nose plecos. Arent they the ones with the white dots on them?, Also with the little whiskers on their nose used for mating?

A Pleco will not make the tank more "lively".

eaglesaquarium said:
A Pleco will not make the tank more "lively".

I was about to comment the same, I've never in my life seen a "lively" pleco lol.

There are a few options for "small" pleco though as stated already, but the Clown Pleco is my personal favourite as I've seen some beautiful looking ones, and coming in at under 4" it's ideal. The Bulldog/Rubbernose Pleco is another nice looking Pleco with a size coming in at under 5". Make sure you have wood in your tank which I'm sure you're aware of. I don't think the Clowns are great for algae (if that's one of the reasons you wanted). If it is purely for algae then the Bristlenose would be the best choice I think, still coming in at under 5".

Another option for algae eating and more lively than a Pleco would be Otocinclus.

rodders666 said:
Another option for algae eating and more lively than a Pleco would be Otocinclus.

True, but otos are a more challenging addition.  Many are near starved when reaching the LFS, and won't readily take to manufactured food.  So, its not always possible to get them to eat in a tank UNLESS there is a nice amount of algae for them to snack on already in the tank before they are added.

eaglesaquarium said:

.....not always possible to get them to eat in a tank UNLESS there is a nice amount of algae for them to snack on already in the tank before they are added.

Good point, I've only ever added them to a tank that's got a good algae build up. My LFS does have them in their "algae" tank, and seeing them in action in a group when they are "happy" they're a great sight.

I feel like I'm a new keeper again after being out of it for a while, but I did have tanks for years previously.

They are absolutely awesome to watch work.  But, they are also extremely frustrating if there's not enough algae available.  Some never make the transition to alternative foods and just starve to death.  

Its more to add color to the tank, Having White fish in a 20G tank was not my best idea as they look creepy. So a Clown pleco would be fun to have. As im sure i cant put any more Corydoras in the tank( 6 Already ) without having some issues with the space they need. As for plecos, yes i have Some algae but its a fairly small amount that even my amanos eat slowly. And for color, i was hoping to find a pleco thats yellow or blue rather to their common color or browish/black 

Clown plecos are highly reclusive... you'd almost never see it.

same with my amanos _-_
 i want to see them in action but they are to well hidden in the diftwood

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back