Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

200 Gallon Cycle Stalled at Nitrite Phase

Discussion in 'Cycle your Tank' started by Reluctant Pirate, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Reluctant Pirate

Reluctant Pirate New Member

Hello all. I'm new to this site, but not exactly new to the hobby. I recently acquired a couple of fish under emergency circumstances, so I had to set up a tank very quickly. I have a 200 gallon tank with wet/dry sump filter setup, and I'm trying to cycle it with these fish in the tank.

The problem I have is that the cycle seems to have stalled. Ammonia levels have dropped to less than .25 ppm and have stayed there consistently for about a month. Nitrite levels are consistently over 5 ppm, and I've been using Prime to keep the fish alive. Of course, Prime makes the water test at 0 ppm nitrite for awhile, but it always returns to 5+ within 5-6 hours. Daily testing has never shown any nitrate at all.

Water changes are wholly ineffective at reducing the Nitrite levels, as they return to 5+ within hours of even the most drastic water changes (80%+).

I've tried using Stability for a couple of weeks, but it has had no effect.

Any ideas?

2. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

The best thing to do is find someone who has a cycled tank and steal some of their seasoned media then add it to your filter box w/o rinsing it or anything. Seeding a tank is the fastest and most effective way to cycle it.

3. Reluctant Pirate

Reluctant Pirate New Member

Yeah, I wish that were an option. I know no one with an aquarium.