20 gallon stocking idea to replace a school of neons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently set up a 10 gallon tank that I am thinking about moving my school of neons into from my 20 gallons. If I do this I was wondering what are some things that I could stock where I previously had my neons.

Tank Info: The tank is 20 gallons planted. As of right now it is stocked with a honey gournami, 4 corys(plan to get one more next time I pick up new fish), and 10 neons which will be moved if I find something to replace them with in this tank.

Also if instead of the neons I possibly moved the honey gournami instead and possibly got it a mate for the 10 gallon. Is there a peaceful center piece fish that I could replace it with in the 20 gallon?

IMO ten gallon is too small for Neon tetras I also think its too small for the Gourami,

Okay thanks guess I will just stock it with a smaller schooling fish then.

There are a plethora of small schooling fish to choose from. Just a few I can think of:
Microdevario Kubotai (don't know the common name sorry)
Celestichthys Margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio)
Hyphessobrycon Elachys (Reed Tetra)
Hyphessobrycon Amandae (Ember Tetra)
Boraras Brigittae (Mosquito Rasbora)

There are also non-schooling fish you could keep in here
Guppies
Endlers
Dario
Betta

You still have a fair number of options. Some of the schooling fish just may be quite hard to find.

We have been going back and forth in other threads about the stocking of these 10g and 20g tanks. As other members have mentioned here, a 10g is very limiting, consider the "nano" type species. TekFish has mentioned some I mentioned back a ways in another thread. And if I remember, you have soft water so keep that in mind.

Yep think I may go with ember tetras as I mentioned a while back. Because if something happened and I needed to move then I could easily move them to my other tank unlike guppys or endless which would need hard water which would be specific to this new tank.

Guess I will post this here rather then another post it is mostly on topic. Keeping my aqarium stocking the same as I mentioned are there any dwarf cichlids I could add?I recently saw some at my local fish store and I thought I would ask after seeing them. I am going to guess no given the current stocking of my tank but I thought I would ask while it was on my mind.

Last edited:
Guess I will post this here rather then another post it is mostly on topic. Keeping my aqarium stocking the same as I mentioned are there any dwarf cichlids I could add?I recently saw some at my local fish store and I thought I would ask after seeing them. I am going to guess no but I thought I would ask while it wa son my mind.

It could work, depending upon the species; there are many dwarf cichlids, those in the genus Apistogramma are the most common, and there are several others. However, "dwarf" can sometimes be misleading. A dwarf cichlid that attains close to three inches is not so "dwarf." The other thing,only fair to point out, is that these fish need very stable conditions in terms of water parameters and conditions. They are not "easy" fish.

Okay thanks that gives me some things to think about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back