2 Questions! Angel Fish & Platy Fish Emergency!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aDORKablee

Reaction score
Lets start from the very beginning...

About 5 months ago, I bought fish from a local pet store, and they all seemed to be doing just fine together. Then I noticed that the Angel fish weren't being particularly nice to the Bala Shark that I had bought. They weren't attacking him, but when he would swim near them, it was almost as if they purposely were trying to spook him.

About a week later, he didn't come up for feeding (he was usually the first one up there, until the Angel fish came, and then he retreated), so I looked in the tank and he was dead, and seemed to have been pecked at (fins were missing, etc.) I thought maybe that since he was laying under where the filter drops the water back into the tank, that overnight it may have eroded the fins, but wasn't sure. Regardless, I took him out, flushed him, and then cleaned my tank completely. I read that if the fish had eaten him, they could have picked up something...

About a month afterwards, my other fish, (I'm not too sure what he was to be honest. He was just flat. He looked like a string-ray, but small with no tail, if that helps anyone)died. There were no signs of sickness, but like the shark, I cleaned the tank, and removed him.

Now that it's almost 3 months after the last fish died, my Black Angel fish started to get white patches. I didn't think anything of it, because this is my first time owning Angel fish, and I wasn't sure if it was common. The spots were small, but grew slowly over time. I also noticed that his/her (wasn't sure) stomach started to look bigger. There was nothing wrong with its fins, and it did seem a little anti-social, but not always. Today, I went to do the 10% water change, and saw it dead at the bottom of my tank, completely white. I have no idea how it lost all of its color overnight. The day before the patches were no larger than about half a penny. Also, the fins were destroyed. They were missing, and tattered. (I felt so bad looking at it. :( )

I've been reading, and I've learned that Angel fish can catch Neon Tetra Disease, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to that. Please correct me if I am completely wrong.

So yes, my first question: Was it NTD?

Second question: Can Platy's catch it?

My mother platy fish (Who gave birth to 8 [that we saw, we weren't expecting her to give live birth that soon, so she may have eaten some] healthy babies, who are still alive and well. But the last 2 births have all been dead on arrival. About 60 each time, all half developed and white. Is this result of an illness? I don't see how I could have done the first birthing perfectly, unknowing what I was doing, and then messing it up twice in a row now that I'm aware.) seemed to be bullied by the Angel fish, so I removed her from the tank when I noticed one piece of her tail and one piece of her upper fin missing. She's been having difficulty swimming, and she seems to be a little crooked. It's almost as if she's got an indent on the right side, but a bulge on the left directly across. The color near her tail seems to be fading, but that may just be my paranoia. She also became very anti-social, remaining in the castle most of the time. I thought all this was from the "bullying" however, now I'm not so sure. It seems more like symptoms of NTD. I have been searching for a while, and unless I'm just horrible with Google, it seems there is nothing on Platy fish and NTD.

Is she just injured, or is it something more serious? When I go to feed her, she swims quite fast and she seems as though she goes where she is aiming to go. (Meaning she doesn't just flail about in fear, and is unable to swim. She wants to go away from me, so she does so, in a very straight, very quick fashion. It's just leisure swimming that she doesn't seem to want/able to participate in.)

Sorry for the very long novel here, I just really want to know what's going on, and I hope by giving so much detail, everything can be figured out.

Anything you could tell me, even sharing your own similar stories to seek help (to reduce the same question being asked multiple times and flooding the boards) is welcome and encouraged!

Thanks in advance, this website didn't let me down the first time I had a question (about the live birth, actually. :) ), and I don't think it will again!

-A Very Concerned Fish Mother.

The tank is about 20-30 gal. I don't know 100% because the tank was given to me by a family friend.

Up until about a week ago I had: 2 Platy Fish, 2 Angel Fish, 1 Algae Sucker (I think. He sticks to the side of the tank and objects in the tank. I believe that's what he's doing, as I never have algae, and he never eats fish food, yet he is the fish that has grown the most out of them all. Getting him OFF the glass though is a chore, lol.)

Now, I only have 1 Angel Fish, 1 Platy, and the Sucker in that tank. I was going to add the fry, as they are big enough to not be swallowed by the other fish, but I'm glad I decided to wait a little bit longer.

I have a filter that I change monthly, or as I see it being clogged.

I add drops to the water, but nothing major. It just makes the water safe for the fish "by neutralizing chlorine and heavy metals". It also provides a slime coating that helps heal and protect my fish.

I have a castle and some big rocks in my tank. I also have pebbles on the floor of the tank.

I do 10% partial water changes every week, and put some drops into the water before adding it to the tanks.

Please fill this out to help us help you;

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

We'll need numbers on the ammonia, nitrite & so on, fine, normal or any of that won't do us any good at all. A picture of the angel will help big time.

You dont really need to be changing your filter. Is it the sponges you change monthly? Unless they are falling apart you should just rinse them in the old tank water when you do a water change.
Try getting a picture of the fish you describe as 'sucker' so it can be I.D'd. I highly doubt that he isnt eating anything or that your tank has no algae esp if he is growing.
Do you have a testing kit?

I am bit concerned your tank doesnt seem big enough for an angel fish, and changing your filter monthly means you cycle your tank consistantly, how often and how much water do you change. di

+1

I have a 20G and i was told by my LFS that an angel would be fine in it....then i joined this forum and have found out they need much bigger tanks :/

+1 on everything else also :good:

oh those lovely fish shop people dont you just love em :crazy:

i really think your problem is your filter, i have a 20 gal tank, and 2 50 gal tanks, and i have a fluval 305 external filter on mine, internals are ok though, I think you have one of those ones where you replace the entire cartidge monthly, they are rubbish and it causing you to have ammonia and nitrites in your tank, i can tell you that before you test, and thats your problem, why dont you ask in the wanted in anyone has a decent internal filter you can buy, or ebay, prob get one for £10-£20 and you dont have to keep buying cartridges, so in no time you will have save yourself that much. di

had a look for you

here one or two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Internal-Filter-Pump-600L-H-/330572418225?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4cf7a6ccb1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-Filter-Internal-2-Plus-media-/320773840818?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4aaf9c5fb2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-Filter-Internal-3-Plus-media-/320773844314?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4aaf9c6d5a

I don't know any of my readings, I'll have to go out and get a test tomorrow.

I don't see why my Angel's would need MORE room. They are so small compared to the tank, they have ample amounts of room.

My filter is wrong? Oh, I had no idea there was a right filter. I thought they were all pretty much the same.

As for my "sucker", I'll attach a photo to this message.

Thanks for all help so far. :)

Sorry it's a little fuzzy.
I had to zoom in, and I was only using my Black Berry.

Attachments

• IMG00014-20111015-1339.jpg
    IMG00014-20111015-1339.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 78
IMG00012-20111015-1337.jpg

A picture of the tank itself.

My Angel, and the sucker is down by the rock.

This is the WHITE Angel fish, who started out white!
The other Black one that turned white I didn't get to take a picture of unfortunately.

Cartridges.

It's made of white cloth like material, and what seems to be black rocks inside.

Hi

your fish that you dont know the name of is an albino pleco, I have one its a lovely fish, peaceful and a herbivore. It eats mainly algae wafers and mine likes the odd marrowfat pea.

As far as filters on ebay, I bought a fluval internal filter.. a U4, really easy to set up and very quiet. You wouldnt need that size for your tank but I think you could ask the sellers on there for advice. My LFS were selling the U4 for £55, I paid £37.95 so its worth the saving. You'd prob get a smaller one a lot cheaper than that.

I have an albino bristlenose, and he is a very social fish, and likes to play with my cories. As stated by others, your are probably causing mini cycles everytime you change your cartridge. Rinse them out and return them until they are falling apart, then replace the cartdrige, but keep pieces of the old filter in with it, that way you still have the old bacteria to keep the tank cycled.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back