2 hob filter aquaclear 50 media setup help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ha28

Reaction score
Hello there. Another beginners question. I have 2 hob filter , can i use one with sponge and bio rings, the other one with active carbon, clearmax media from fluval and water polish like polifill???

the other one with active carbon,
Yes you can, but I wouldnt bother with carbon for normal day to day filtration, carbon is usefull to get rid of medication but other than that its pointless IMO.

Ok thanks ,i have sponges and bio rings and a pre filter in one . Don't know what i can use in the other one . Still i want the filter floss , but dont know what else could help.

Its just not needed in a balanced cycled tank,
Purigen can strip out of the water a whole raft of contaminants
So do water regular water changes, The only reason I would use it is if my tap water had " contaminates " in it, EG ammonia nitrites or nitrates.

If you are having problems with water quality in your tank it is best to address the cause of those problems,
Eg
Overstocking
Over feeding
Poor tank maintenence

Last edited:
We can argue that we dont need a filter at all. Media has value in a filter. Purigen has a long standing sucessful track record of being highly effective. Seachem studies have shown it does not remove macros or micros. It polishes water very well. Considering it can be recharged nultiple times it is also cost effective compared to most other media. Is highly effective at nitrate removal.

If my tap was high in ammonia or nitrates I wouldn't rely on any media. Id find a different water source

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It polishes water very well.
So will filter floss and its way cheaper. I do not bother polishing water, I add Indian almond leaf to my tank for the tannins I dont need some product removing them.

Is highly effective at nitrate removal.
So are regular water changes.

Were not talking about you or me. OP asked what would be a good media for the extra room in his filter.

Its cool you don't like me. But why let your personal issues get in way.

I got an idea. Lets put floss and purigen in it. Guess what....there both in mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Its cool you don't like me.
How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Just because we do not agree on something does not mean I dislike you.

Last edited:
Hey guys . For now. I put filter floss and some bio ring i had extra. Still looking for the other one . For right now my water is like cloudy is a new tank without fish . Being cycled

I looked some info about purigen . It seems good. You put like in a bag or something os a powder right?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back