2 Breeding Pairs Of Convicts In The Same Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishlette

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i was reading up on convicts last night and came across this article. some of you might have already seen the article or even done it yourself. but my question is, is this possible for anyone to do with enough tank space or was this guy really lucky?

2 Pairs Breeding Convicts you have to follow the links at the bottom of the page a couple of times to get to the diary part

i love the way these guys interact and raise young. it also sounds like the two pairs together added a whole new dimension :) i would like to consider doing this if it is something that really can be done. if it can, what would be a good tank size?

It's not something I would recommend trying unless you have a tank of about 6 foot or larger. I'm not going to deny that it is do-able, it just takes the right circumstances.

It's not something I would recommend trying unless you have a tank of about 6 foot or larger. I'm not going to deny that it is do-able, it just takes the right circumstances.

fair enough. i prob wont do it then because the tank i was thinking of getting was a 4ft. will just upgrade the convicts when they grow to that tank and they can have lots of room :)

That's probably a good idea.. Breeding convicts can be complete terrors, and demolish other fish. So having 2 pairs is really difficult to do.

I've had 3 breeding pairs in a 20g high before. It was well planted and the fish were no more than 3" in size. I put a big stone decor in the center and gave them spawning surfaces on either size. 1 pair took the middle stone, and a pair took each the left and right sides. It is doable, it just matters what kind of temperament your fish have, the size of the fish and plenty of cover to break their vision of each other. None of the fish in my situation seriously attacked one another, but being hey grew up together as fry might have had something to do with it.

It is "doable", just not something I would recommend, and definitely not something that I would recommend people try to do. Especially if the cons are full grown, it can get pretty violent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back