2 Angels 10 Gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishyBowler

Reaction score
Hello,

We just bought 2 angels that are about nickel size for our 10 gallon tank (new tank for xmas from Grandma). The store seemed to think this is fine, but now I've been reading that this is too small of a tank.

Thoughts? Can we make this work?

Thanks!
FishyBowler

No, you can't make it work, they need a bigger tank.

I'm afraid a lot of stores will say any old rubbish to make a sale.

Angels need a tank that is at least three feet long, and 18" in height, as they get so tall.

You might also have problems if your angels don't like each other, especially as they reach sexual maturity; if you have two males, for instance (and there's no really reliable way of sexing them until they're in breeding condition).

Being cichlids, angels like to choose their own mates, so if you want a pair to live together, you need to start off with at least half a dozen youngsters and let them pair off themselves. Then you have to rehome the ones you don't want or that don't pair up, unless you have a very large tank indeed; something like a 5'x2'x2', heavily planted, in which case a group might work.

Sorry I can't be more positive but angels, though lovely, are quite demanding because of their behaviour.

It may be okay for babies, but they will definitely need a larger tank to grow into. I don't like to add small angels too a large angel tank and grow them out a bit first in a smaller tank but optimally a 55g would be good but 40 tall can work.

Most reactions

trending

Back