1St African Cichlid Tank - Suggestions Please ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joanne_464

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just got my new tank, Regency 80-180 litres, so Ive decided to try something new and start an african cichlid tank. I have no fish in it at the moment, just stacked ocean rock I am waiting for my PH to buff up a little bit. So I am looking for any suggestions as to which fish to get.. ?

Any suggestions or recommendations please.. ???

What sort of thing do you like ?
Your tank is twicw the size of mine , would you consider a Tanganyika set up or would it be more Yellow labs type of thing ?

What sort of thing do you like ?
Your tank is twicw the size of mine , would you consider a Tanganyika set up or would it be more Yellow labs type of thing ?

I have no idea lol im new to this i like colourful fish, bigish fish.. are tanganyikan the more aggressive ones ??

Generally less aggressive, but still aggressive on the whole. Just in smaller sizes..

There's plenty with colour, but not quite on the same scale as Malawi.. still, do some searching and see for yourself, then check what's available near you. Plenty of spunk and activity in there to keep you interested too.

Quick inspirational image search:

malawi_3.jpg

8foot_aquarium1.jpg

pict0934h.jpg

multipunks.jpg

Amazon-sword-plant.jpg

348555.jpg

STEF3%20copy.jpg

403ezstyle1.jpg

aquarium01252009.JPG

Google be your friend!

Thanks guys there really nice looking fish I really like that one third from the bottom

180 litres (~45 US gallons) isn't a huge amount of space. So you will want to think very carefully about what you stock. Many of the Malawian cichlids tend to become hyperdominant in small aquaria, and you can easily end up with one bullying male, a bunch of constantly breeding females, some battered (or dead) males, and untold numbers of hybrid fry. This isn't what you want at all.

To be honest, except for Labidochromis, I'd reject the idea of Malawian cichlids altogether. They're difficult to do well, and even the "dwarf" mbuna tend to be on the aggressive side. For your first tank, this isn't what you want to deal with.

Tanganyikans are generally easier to maintain in terms of aggression, with the exception of Tropheus which are pretty nasty. But there are plenty of Lamprologus and Neolamprologus species around the 8-10 cm mark that would work well in this sort of aquarium. They don't need excessively hard water, so a combination of inert rocks, silica sand and hard water plants such as Anubias and Vallisneria can be used to create a nice aquascape. If you have calcareous limestone, you could use that too, but I find the bright white appearance less attractive than, say, either pink or silver granites. If you have hard water already, you won't need to do much else, but adding a bag of crushed coral to the canister filter, or else adding Rift Valley salt mix to buckets of water, will provide a good insurance policy against pH changes.

Also remember Africa is a bigger place than just the Rift Valley lakes. There are some superb riverine cichlids from the Congo region available. Steatocranus tinanti is a beautiful rheophillic species that would do well in a tank this size. It is quite widely sold at the moment for some reason, so shouldn't be hard to obtain. It isn't excessively territorial so a couple of males and four females could be easily maintained in 180 litres. They'd be great companions for six Congo tetras and a few dwarf Synodontis. West Africa has some great cichlids too, with species of Pelvicachromis being especially nice. Kribs are well known, but other species, like Pelvicachromis taeniatus are widely available if you make an effort to find them. Again, these would mix well with some African tetras or barbs, as well as the smaller and less aggressive Ctenopoma and Polypterus.

Cheers, Neale

Just got my new tank, Regency 80-180 litres, so Ive decided to try something new and start an african cichlid tank. I have no fish in it at the moment, just stacked ocean rock I am waiting for my PH to buff up a little bit. So I am looking for any suggestions as to which fish to get.. ?

Any suggestions or recommendations please.. ???

My boyfriends first tank has malawi cichlids. They definitely keep us on our toes. Ours seem pretty tough, but be forewarned if you add new fish they need to be bigger than the current residents and add multiple new ones at a time or they will bully a new one to death. We got an albino and half albino and they nearly killed the albino. We had to remove him from the tank. :sad: But if you're looking for a challenge then give them a try. :rolleyes:

My boyfriends first tank has malawi cichlids. They definitely keep us on our toes. Ours seem pretty tough, but be forewarned if you add new fish they need to be bigger than the current residents and add multiple new ones at a time or they will bully a new one to death. We got an albino and half albino and they nearly killed the albino. We had to remove him from the tank. :sad: But if you're looking for a challenge then give them a try. :rolleyes:

That is what they told me at my local fish store to add them in groups but ye i think im definatly going to give them a try :nod:

i'd take Neales post onboard if i was you.

Ditto, Neale is 100% on the money 180 litres way too small for a Malawi mixture tank, the pictures may be great inspiration but there is a mixture of everything in there and most certainly not an option, for eg the Frontosa 4th from bottom grows to over a foot long and would want a tank of about 5-600 litres and 5 or 6 foot long as would most of the Haps.

Ditto, Neale is 100% on the money 180 litres way too small for a Malawi mixture tank, the pictures may be great inspiration but there is a mixture of everything in there and most certainly not an option, for eg the Frontosa 4th from bottom grows to over a foot long and would want a tank of about 5-600 litres and 5 or 6 foot long as would most of the Haps.

Thanks for the advise Guys im going to look into it in a bit more depth definatly taking on bored what neale has said.. this is not my first tank just my first cichlid tank so im looking for a bit more of a challange.. not bought any fish yet still going to do some research and look into what neales suggests thanks again guys !!!

Thanks for the advise Guys im going to look into it in a bit more depth definatly taking on bored what neale has said.. this is not my first tank just my first cichlid tank so im looking for a bit more of a challange.. not bought any fish yet still going to do some research and look into what neales suggests thanks again guys !!!

Yeah I have to agree, if I had that tank (twice size of mine), I'd go for Tangs , I know I'm biassed. You could have a shell dweller group, some rocks for Julidochromis, and some other species for the open water, nice little Tang community. It has been done in smaller tanks, good luck, be interesting to see how you get on... :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back