16L Pico Reef

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Iv only bought from actual shops so far but I guess I could buy onli.e lol
They are 50/50 blue/sunlight, I did look into cree leds

Could well be. I've seen crees, they look nice.

L

Could well be. I've seen crees, they look nice.

L

?? confused :huh: they are normal 11W arc pods with 50/50 bulbs.

I meant to say i did look into building a LED rig for it but never got around to it :)

still havent found a blue LED setup i like to make the colours pop a bit more

I was answering regarding that you may find what you want online rather than at a store.

Look into Stunner strips for LEDs if you just want that pop of color.

L

Mini Matt that tank is ace

my GSP is out again yay!
536332_10151679514365150_528360149_24351105_58938937_n.jpg

and I have a new lighting setup in the post from china :good:
gonna keep you in the dark on what it is yet :shout: lol i'm so punny

moved a few things around :) still waiting on my new lights to come through from hong kong :)
574976_10151688279200150_528360149_24375893_131028051_n.jpg

moved a few things around :) still waiting on my new lights to come through from hong kong :)
574976_10151688279200150_528360149_24375893_131028051_n.jpg

Hey the gsp opened! Awesome! It looks really, really good. :good:

Is that a chromis?

Just be sure that when you change the lighting, give time for the corals to adjust. If you upgraded to more intense lighting, reduce the photo period to between 4-6 hours then gradually increase to your typical photo period over the course of a week or so.

I love this tank, keep up the good work. :D It's nice to see an established pico. They are not easy tanks. Believe me, I know. :lol:

When i first got it the GSP was bright bright green, was sold as ultra green and now looks a lot more yellow i'm hoping the new lighting will help bring the colour out more.

I'm switching to an LED setup using GU10 Bulbs, one of the thing i was worried about really, so just cut the photo period then bring it up over a week?
not really sure what length photo i should be using I think i'm running 10hrs with both on and an hour each side with just one although it might be on an 8 hr
also got around to turning the temp down as it was at 27.5 which i thought was a bit high but it's now sitting at 24deg C which i think is too low and i have to move stuff to get to the heater it all looks ok though :blink:

Is that a chromis?

missed that, Yes :)

Whilst I was away for the weekend the tanks temperature dropped to 23degC (I turned it down as it was at 27.5 which i thought was a little high) and I think it may have killed my leather :( either that or the #insertnameofyellowcoral# has stung the crap out of it since i moved everything :(

But for good news, my new Lights have turned up! yay! prepare for some LED Power!

PS: What temp should I be aiming for? I usually run at 26degC

Just found this thread - that tank looks really good! I had thought of setting up a nano marine myself so this has definitely been inspirational. One question - do you need protien skimmers and other common marine equipment in tanks like this, or can you just use the same sort of stuff as freshwater setups but just add salt to the water?

Hi! thankyou for the nice comments and welcome!

That was the main thing I found daunting I was like 'protein skimming??!!'
basically because you're using such a small tank it's easier to do more frequent/higher percentage water changes and so skimming isn't really necessary, plus skimming can take out some of the good stuff that your corals 'eat'

basically all you need is Live Rock (LR provides the biological filtration)
a powerhead (Korolia nano is great 900lph)
Light
Filter (optional, fill with filter floss to take out any 'bits')
heater

simple as that, it was always described to me as hard work etc, but if you just have light dependant corals you don't have to worry about dosing (adding food/chemicals to the tank)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back