16 Gallon Tank. 1 Crab & 1 Betta? Advice please.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Porchlight

Reaction score
Advice please! I have a new 16 Gallon tank. One crab, one betta. Do you think I could add a few more?

A school of neons? (Or another non-frilly fish? I'm open to cool suggesions.)
Shrimp? Ghost cats? Cory cats?
I want to stay away from plecos b/c I hear their waste is hard on the tanks.

I don't think this tank will take the 16 inches per 16 gallons rule because of it's globe shape. (Biorb Halo 60L)
Also, the filter system uses a marble- to strawberry sized jagged substrate. It's ceramic but feels like lava. Sand will clog the system.

Advice please! I have a new 16 Gallon tank. One crab, one betta. Do you think I could add a few more?

A school of neons? (Or another non-frilly fish? I'm open to cool suggesions.)
Shrimp? Ghost cats? Cory cats?
I want to stay away from plecos b/c I hear their waste is hard on the tanks.

I don't think this tank will take the 16 inches per 16 gallons rule because of it's globe shape. (Biorb Halo 60L)
Also, the filter system uses a marble- to strawberry sized jagged substrate. It's ceramic but feels like lava. Sand will clog the system.

Welcome to TFF. As I mentioned earlier to the OP, male Betta are not really community fish and are best alone. Neons are very dangerous risks...I have known Betta to eat them (the bright colours may be part of the reason), and small tetra-like fish frequently decide to nip the flowing fins of sedate fish like Betta. Cories might work (except for the crab) but they should have a sand substrate, so I would not go this route.

I have no direct experience with crabs, but I believe from other members that these are not good with fish. Ironically, they might work with a Betta, given the upper water preference of a Betta, but I will go along with what the crab folks say.

The "inch of fish per gallon" guide is not that reliable, even if one considers mature sizes. There are several factors to consider when combining fish, and in some cases you may end up with considerably more than an inch per gallon, while at other times no where near that. The environmental needs of the fish, numbers required for shoaling species, not to mention compatibility.

Byron.

Thanks for the quick reply! (And the nice welcome.) So far the crab and betta have been okay. Two far apart worlds. I might need to get some places for the crab to hide?

Hmm... So you think a school of something in the tetra family won't work? I have been reading about the downsides of neons and thinking perhaps the warmer-preferring neon *cardinals* or the fun-schooling lemon tetras -- if I get enough of them (6+). Will that curb the nippiness? The lady at the shop had suggested tetras & neons for coinhabitents since my tank is 16 Gal.

Also/or... maybe shrimp of various colors?

Thanks for the quick reply! (And the nice welcome.) So far the crab and betta have been okay. Two far apart worlds. I might need to get some places for the crab to hide?

Hmm... So you think a school of something in the tetra family won't work? I have been reading about the downsides of neons and thinking perhaps the warmer-preferring neon *cardinals* or the fun-schooling lemon tetras -- if I get enough of them (6+). Will that curb the nippiness? The lady at the shop had suggested tetras & neons for coinhabitents since my tank is 16 Gal.

Also/or... maybe shrimp of various colors?

You are getting extremely bad advice from that shop. I'll go into this further to explain.

The problem is the behaviour tendency of the various fish. These conditions are programmed into the species DNA.

Tetras (and this applies to almost any smallish shoaling fish, like rasbora, barbs, danios as well) are generally peaceful, though some species are exceptions. They live in large groups, and need a decent number to interact. Bettas are solitary fish, and they are very sedate. They also have very long flowing fins.

In sufficiently large tanks, shoaling fish may work with less active and sedate fish. In smaller tanks, this almost never works. Even ordinarily very peaceful fish, like the neons, can suddenly become quite nippy (consider it play in fish terms) when they are confronted with a temptation such as the Betta. There is a lot to this, from physical space to water quality. Fish release chemical signals, their form of "conversation," and other fish read these signals. All of this can cause stress, depending upon the species. Even if the neons (or whatever) never actually nipped the Betta, they are sending out signals that the Betta picks up, and this can unsettle him.

It can work in reverse too. The Betta, sensing this, can decide to take matters on his own, and snap at the neons. Bright colours tend to bring this out more, but it is still a risk.

And risk is something an aquarist must avoid. It is not fair to the fish to place them in surroundings that will cause them stress. It weakens them, causes health issues that wouldn't otherwise occur, and generally makes them "unhappy."

Betta are specifically bred to be fighters, and they need to be alone. It is cruel to the Betta to do otherwise.

Byron.

I have no direct experience with crabs, but I believe from other members that these are not good with fish. Ironically, they might work with a Betta, given the upper water preference of a Betta

If your Betta sleeps on the bottom he will be crab food, The way to prevent this is to have some tall plants that reach the top of the water and some floating plants.

Now having said that heres what I think, rehome the crab ASAP or the Betta as it will end in disaster, Bettas are curious fish and he will get too close to the crab, Fins and claws do not mix.

The "inch of fish per gallon" guide is not that reliable, even if one considers mature sizes.
I agree the inch per gallon rule is nonsense, If it wasnt I could put a 18 inch fish into an 18 gallon tank.

I agree the inch per gallon rule is nonsense, If it wasnt I could put a 18 inch fish into an 18 gallon tank.

The rule in its entirity is "1 inch of torpedo shaped fish that grow no bigger than 3 inches per US gallon"

Everyone forgets the fish shape and size bit when quoting the rule. It doesn't apply to fish that grow to 18 inches ;)

But the rule is still rubbish even when properly quoted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back