155 Litre Blackwater Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Spiceweasel69

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Would like to know your thoughts for improvement.

Many Thanks 

P1010604_zps876ff0a4.jpg

It's nice. I like blackwater tanks. I might have made more structure around the base of the wood and plants with the rocks, rather than scatter them in the substrate, but they may work well like that once the plants spread.

How black are you planning on taking the water? I ask because you can sometimes struggle with some plants in full on blackwater due to the acid conditions.

I do really like the wood/moss. Looks good against the substrate. Is that cat litter?

Yeah it is cat litter, Tesco lightweight low dust. Cheap as chips.

Not sure how dark i will take it, pH is 6.7 and i may keep it there, adjust the amount of peat in the filter. 2 new Blue Rams yesterday, hope i sexed them correctly.

I really dont have an eye for aquascaping, hopefully the HC on the right will start to carpet.

Only issue with cat litter is it isnt dense enough for capreting plants to really take hold but will update.

Nice looking tank and when you get it stained you should see the tetra colors pop.

I would suggest you ditch the peat and instead look into a South African "tea" called rooibos. This will add all the same beneficial things one gets from adding Indian Almond leaves as well as the staining. What you don't get is the pH altering effects. In fact you may find that you get a very small bump.

I have been using the roasted form of this tea for Altum angel tanks which I tend to end up keeping in the 6-6.5 pH range. I should confess that I am actually using a mix of the almond leaves, the rooibos tea (added brewed to the water), Kent Black Water Expert (this doesn't effect pH either) and alder cones.

Other things one can use to stain the water and which may effect pH would be alder cones and oak leaves. I find the leaves (oak or almond) need to be replaced about every two weeks.

Absolutely love that piece of wood. Looks fantastic, great job. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back