125ltr Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Spamamos

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am just about ready to start the stocking of my Roma 125.

I would like to keep fish that should be together, ie Asian or S American and just want to see what my options are? I thought I had a good idea of what I wanted but the more I read the more varied things become.
If I were to go Asian I would love a Pearl Gourami and if I went SA Rams are a must. Apart from that as far as schools go and bottom feeders for either I'm a bit lost.

Water ph is 7.2
Kh Is 10
Gh 14

Thanks!

Rather than doing a biotope, why not just have a pearl gourami, some South American dwarf cichlids and some tetras?

You have more choice of bottom feeders in a South American themed tank, lots of Corydora catfish, pleco etc. Asian you are probably looking at loaches or rainbow shark which can grow quite large. Sharks can be more aggressive. Shrimp fit in the Asian theme as a tank cleaner and they are quite interesting to keep on their own terms anyway.

I also think there are more varieties of tetra available if you want particular colours.

If you are looking at Rams then I would say wait for a good few months for plant growth and water parameters to be rock solid stable.

Asian themed you would probably go with a school of harlequin rasbora and maybe khuli loaches at the bottom.

Thanks guys, yes I will be waiting a few months before adding rams (if), I have done a fair bit of reading up on them.

With a Gourami could it be kept by itself with no issues? I had though about getting dwarfs but reading up they seem to cause trouble in either behaviour or illness.

By Rams I will assume you mean the common or Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) in one of its colour varieties. This fish must have warmth, 80F/27C is minimum, but many other "tropical" species cannot last at this high a temp. Cories for example, or the loaches, would have issues.

On the Pearl Gourami, I would recommend one male and two females, you have space and this will make a more interesting aquarium as they will interact. You are wise to avoid Dwarf Gourami unless you know a breeder; the iridovirus is still a risk.

GH at 14 dGH is relatively hard.

Stay away from live bearers,lol. Constant breeding is a pain.

Honey gouramis, some tetra and bristlenosed pleco.

Then you have all levels of your tank sorted

Thanks for the advice on the gourami, I have read its quite hard to sex them when they're young though?

Looks like I'm going
3 x Pearl Gourami
12 (or so) Black Neon Tetra
4 Cory Cats
BN Plec
Amano Shrimps

Maybe some Apistos later?

It might be easier in a tank of Pearls to distinguish gender. Males are more colourful (in store tanks often washed out of course) with extended dorsal and anal fins; photo of a pair attached.

Increase the cories, five is absolute minimum with more always better for the fish, they will be less stressed and thus healthier. They can get very timid with too few. As you have the space, I would aim for 9-12. One or mixed species, depending upon species, some do better with more of their own than others.

Attachments

• Trichogaster leerii pair.jpg
    Trichogaster leerii pair.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 215
9 - 12 Cories!? Really??
Yep, you'd be surprised at how differently they behave. In a big group they will have much more confidence and be a lot more active. A lot of small fish act like that. It's always better to have fewer species in bigger numbers than have a lot of species in just small numbers.

I agree. Double up on the Corys. Possibly increase the tetras to 18 too.

Ok guys that's really cool!

I'll definitely add the Cory's slowly, I don't want the whole tank floor dominated with them!
Will they not compete with the Apistos later on?

Also im going to be adding some fish this weekend. Tetras first and maybe 4? Or is there a better fish to add first?

Ok guys that's really cool!

I'll definitely add the Cory's slowly, I don't want the whole tank floor dominated with them!
Will they not compete with the Apistos later on?

Also im going to be adding some fish this weekend. Tetras first and maybe 4? Or is there a better fish to add first?

First the cories...add them all together if you can acquire the ones you want at the same time. Cories are very sensitive when it comes to changing environments and the more there are the better they will settle in, with less stress. This actually applies to any shoaling fish, so the tetras you decide on should be handled together, by which I mean the species; if you want "X" tetra, get the entire group of 7 or 8 or 9 or whatever together.

Is this tank cycled? Or are there live plants? Adding fish is not possible unless the tank is cycled or there are live plants growing.

As for the cories and apistogramma, yes, they will not get along, but this is usually not a problem. Cichlids eat from the substrate, as do cories, so they may argue over whose shrimp pellet or tab it is. That is not much of a problem. However, if you intend spawning the apistogramma, the cories will inevitably find and eat either the clutch of eggs, or the shoal of fry. This is usually occurs after darkness when the cories being semi-nocturnal are out and about, and the cichlids are "sleeping."

I'm pretty sure the tank is cycled and yes there are plenty of plants in the tank. Ammonia is zero, nitrites zero and nitrates are present.

I have everything I need incase things go a bit wappy on the water quality front.
I would probably go Tetras first?

I'm pretty sure the tank is cycled and yes there are plenty of plants in the tank. Ammonia is zero, nitrites zero and nitrates are present.

I have everything I need incase things go a bit wappy on the water quality front.
I would probably go Tetras first?

Live plants are your saviour, so no issues now.

If the Pearls are still intended, I would get them before any tetras. Less chance of fin nipping from the tetras if the gourami are already there. The cories can be added now, anytime, just so long as they are all together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back